walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Lowther hills

The Lowther hills

Postby Coop » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:11 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Green Lowther

Donalds included on this walk: East Mount Lowther, Green Lowther, Lowther Hill

Date walked: 19/08/2019

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 12.64 km

Ascent: 732m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Itchy feet and 2 weeks off the hills.
Wasnt going far today as low pressure was still around and hezvy rain forecast fir later in the afternoon.
I fancied seeing the giant golf ball atop a hill.
Quatermass springs to mind.
Wont go into the route too much .
Up to the golfball then hang a left and along the road to the trig then back to the golfball down and up ho the wanlockhead youth hostel viewranger and back down.
Met a lad inside an orange survival bag by the "riad/track" on the way up. He was on some ultra marathon thingy. Iwoke him, he said he had a fall in the dark, no phone signal and his tracker had bust, so he hunkered down. Said he was ok now- didn't want any of my food or water and was happy to wait for one of his "team" to cone get him.
Gave him a bit of advice- ie/ get off the hill and get down to the village which was only about 1km away. Get warm and wait there.
I carried on(thinking all was ok) and a little over 2 hours later on my way back I could see a bloke standing at the same spot- turned out he was one of his support team.
He was cold and wet by now, but we got him up and out of the orange bag.
He was shaking a bit by now - time to get some sustinence inside him and get him moving
This time I made him take food and water from me. The other lad got sone fresh clothes on him and we led him down the road where some others were on their way up with a van.
Into it he went - thanks all round and I went on my way.
Would I do the same again. Would I wait with him no matter what he said.. would I believe it if he said he'd eaten and drunk
Hard call- and I suppose as always, conditions on the ground will dictate choices or decisions.
It went ok today- another time- who know!!!
If you read this pal, hope your ok and you got a kip on the way back down to Surrey.
Safe walking/ running
And next time - maybe pick a drier period to run from one end of Scotland to the other :D
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland