walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Creagach

Carn Creagach

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:32 pm

Date walked: 20/08/2019

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 760m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The original plan was to do the last 2 HUmps in the Braemar area. But - due to our inattention and too much chatting, we overshot our turnoff at Auchelie and toured on up the glen for a wee while before stopping - looking at one another in time honoured fashion - and chorusing " Ye numpties" ! What we call "relaxed" navigation !

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parkup at Inverie.JPG
Inverie parkup - free - but for how long !

Knock by Inverie House.JPG
" KNOCK" by Inverie House at the bottom of Glen Ey ( we didn't )

Having parked up at Inverie, we mosey'd up Glen Ey past Inverie hoose towards our first hill - adding a bit on, as mentioned then sheepishly returned to the start of the Carn nan Seilich track. On the way back, we passed a group o worthies who'd followed us up the glen. They remarked on our early start - assuming we'd were coming back from our objective. I 'm ashamed to say that our bruised egos prevented us from correcting this assumption, so we gave our "hail fellows - well met " greeting and strode purposefully on ! ( sorry guys )

The retreat to Auchelie.JPG
The retreat to Auchelie......one day you will be as old as us !

It was a good day for walking with a fresh breeze keeping us cool as we toiled up the track on to Carn nan Seilach, with H straining at the lead to chase the sheep grazing around the path.

Fine view into Glen Ey.JPG
A fine view down into Glen Ey from the Carn Creagach track

The long track to Carn Creagach.JPG
The long track up Carn nan Seileach

As we breasted the 731m top, a herd of abot 20 deer who were grazing on the E side of the ridge caught sight of us and moved over to the west side and down into the corrie.

The track over Carn nan Seilich.JPG
The track over Carn nan Seileach to Carn Creagach - Carn Bhac ahead.

At the end of the track was the usual squelchy peat hags, which we plootered through then followed various animal paths up to the top of Carn Creagach when the soggy path from the end of the track seemed to traverse round towards the Carn Bhac bealach.
As my phone was still waiting a new display to arrive, GordonC was chief photographer.
At the top, we sat behind the cairn for our piece to shelter from the chill breeze, beside the bones of a hare - presumably devoured by an eagle.

GordonC and H at the top of Carn Creagach.JPG
GordonC & H at the top of Carn Creagach

My turn for summit modelling.JPG
My turn for summit modelling

From the top of Creagach I wistfully reminisced to GC about one day in olden times, when I'd walked with a party from Carn Bhac to the Cairnwell via Beinn Lutharn Mor, Carn an Righ, Glas Tulaichean, An Socach ( including the E top as someone had told me it was the Munro ) Carn a Gheoidh and the Cairnwell. We missed out Carn Aosda as we thought the cafe in the ski centre below would still open . ( wimps). Nowadays, it's a struggle to get up a couple o wee hills. Ah well - must be thankful that I can still get up something to enjoy the views.
We'd finished our tarry at the summit, so headed back down, noting that some dark clouds were beginning to gather.
Back down at Auchelie, I stopped to wait for GordonC - assuming that he'd stopped to take some pics , but just as I was about to mosey back up to see where he was, he appeared, grumbling about having dropped his camera case and having to return to his last photo-stop to recover it. So, it's not just me...... !

Back doon tae Auchelie.JPG
Back doon to Auchelie

The turnoff at Auchelie.JPG
Auchelie

We had a laugh at our continuing ineptitude and strolled off down the glen towards the Braemar cafes, having decided that we were too late for the second hill down Glen Cluny.
GordonC had noted a new cafe " Farquharsons Bar & Kitchen" just on the way into the village, so we headed for an exploratory visit. It was much bigger than it appeared from the outside, with a patio and childrens play area out the back and on the roof. The owner proudly showed us round his premises, emphasising that it was not only for tourist but for the locals. We had to admire his entrepreneurships as he was in competition with the newly refurbed Fyfie across the road. Photos were taken and posed for - our first in a cafe !

The twa billies in Farquarsons cafe.JPG
The twa billies in Farquharsons cafe

With the owner of Farquarsons.JPG
Photocall with the owner of Farquharsons Kitchen & Bar

Next we set off to recconnoitre the start to Sgor Mor, into one of these "sharp showers" that the TV weather presenters mention after the news.
Having temporarily blocked the entrance to Baddoch with our car while we tried to scope the ridge up Sgor Mor for a path, a couple of shiny Range rovers decided to drive into Baddoch. With a grovelling "sorry m'lud" we made way for them, but gleaned from the well dressed gate-opener that a path did exist. He was then left in the rain while his colleagues dropped off whatevet they were dropping off down the Baddoch track. ( most unsporting, we throught ).

With a deferential farewell, we retreated down Deeside to our respective Westhill bothies.
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:90
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland