walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Alasdair to Sgurr Mhic Choinnich via Collies Ledge

Sgurr Alasdair to Sgurr Mhic Choinnich via Collies Ledge

by wilkiemurray » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:41 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Alasdair

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Alasdair, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich

Date walked: 01/07/2019

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Sgurr Alasdair to Sgurr Mhic Choinnich via Collies Ledge

Postby JohnZD » Sat May 14, 2022 1:04 pm

StuAlcane wrote:I hope to try this route sometime this year. Unsure where on the descent of the stone chute I would link to Sgurr Mhic Choinnich. Do you have a gpx of the path you took? :)

Think the route as described goes up Bomb Alley. If you go down the Stone Chute either 1/2 or 2/3rds the way down, on your right hand side there’s a flat grassy section that looks totally out of place that has what looks like a path. That’s where you turn off. Bomb alley is the 2nd gully.
JohnZD
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:8
Fionas:55   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   Islands:17

Postby gaffr » Sat May 14, 2022 2:07 pm

There is an alternative way from Alasdair to get to MhicChoinnich by continuing after Alasdair up onto Thearlaich and down climbing into a gap where the Kings Chimney at Diff. rating and will get you directly onto MhicChoinnich. I guess from this area below the start of the chimney will also allow you to also connect with the Collies Ledge? The times that I have been there I have always gone by the Kings Chimney and the folks that you came across after going by the Ledge will have gone by this route?
The way by the Collies ledge looks like an interesting way to get you there and maybe I should experience this way some time :) but don't know if I will get up there again now that I have nearly reached eighty years of age. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby past my sell by date » Sat May 14, 2022 2:23 pm

gaffr wrote:There is an alternative way from Alasdair to get to MhicChoinnich by continuing after Alasdair up onto Thearlaich and down climbing into a gap where the Kings Chimney at Diff. rating and will get you directly onto MhicChoinnich. I guess from this area below the start of the chimney will also allow you to also connect with the Collies Ledge? The times that I have been there I have always gone by the Kings Chimney and the folks that you came across after going by the Ledge will have gone by this route?
The way by the Collies ledge looks like an interesting way to get you there and maybe I should experience this way some time :) but don't know if I will get up there again now that I have nearly reached eighty years of age. :lol:

Yes that's the way I've always got on to Collies Ledge
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Alteknacker » Sat May 14, 2022 11:24 pm

The two and a half year wait has been absolutely worth it (for some reason, I'm now able to access the vid). What a brilliant vid (as ever) of such a brilliant place.

Am hoping to get up into the Black Cuillin again some time in the very near future...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Anne C » Sun May 15, 2022 10:01 pm

Sensational - the best video footage I've ever seen of Cuillin climbing. :clap: :clap: :clap: Outstanding stuff.
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby Sgurr » Wed May 18, 2022 9:45 am

Wonderful. When I did Collie's ledge I was concentrating so hard on getting along it I hardly looked around, so great to see what I should have seen.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Mangusta108 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:57 pm

Great report Murray
Mangusta108
Mountain Walker

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland