walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Ledi

Ben Ledi

Postby NorthFace34 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:10 pm

Route description: Ben Ledi

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi

Date walked: 16/04/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yep as posted we made the summit. Was a cracking day a wee bit of mist hanging around but cleared to perfect walking day. The wind was very gusty near the summit hitting between 25 to 30 mph. Our youngest Chelsie was abit hesitant to go up but after a few encouraging words she battled on and made the top. The route we found started with a steep ascent through the forest out of the car park and once you cross the track at the top it eases off till you hit the million steps as Chelsie calls it LOL. Once over these a slight slope till you cross the river then you leave the track and begin the climb up the rocky path. Once you round the corner at the top to the right you enter abit of a peat bog so take care and pick you route through it. On a good day you can make out the the cross near the summit. The walk to the summit is up a rocky path once through the peat and when we encountered the very strong wind blowing across the gullys. A few false tops later and you will know when you summit as on your left is the cross for Sgt Lawrie RAF Mountain Rescue and just beyond that is the Cairn. The views at the summit are amazing and Ben Lomond can be seen on a good clear day. We only seen the outline LOL.

Hope this is an ok report if you need any more info as you are looking to walk it just let me know. Next is Ben Lomond on Saturday we hope.
NorthFace34

Munros:2   Corbetts:3

Re: Ben Ledi

Postby Myth » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:17 am

Good luck on Saturday - strangely (or perhaps not given where I live) Lomond is one of the "Signature Scottish Hills" I've never set foot on.

Been in the area enough...

Quite fancy doing the West Highland way too - I've walked most of the Northern third one summer doing bridging work (there's a two pipe culvert with my initials in the foundation 'crete) but never the whole thing.
Myth

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland