walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Minch Moor circuit

Minch Moor circuit

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:11 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Minch Moor

Date walked: 16/01/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 720m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It had been over two weeks since my last day out thanks to a particularly nasty winter cold :( . However, that time spent on my sofa had allowed my to create a bank of walks on the hills relatively near to home and this was one of those. I was feeling a bit sore after football on Friday night so wanted a walk that didn't involve any steep slopes but still put some miles in my legs.

I parked at the village hall in Traquair, walked along the B709 to Damhead and started up the track to Camp Shiel. After a short distance I headed up the adjacent hillside to join the excellent path marked on the OS map. I took a wrong turn on this shortly afterwards but was able to rejoin it easily enough.

Innerleithen.jpg

Blake Muir (route of SUW).jpg

I love these well drained paths which are a feature of walking in this area. Continuing on the path I eventually descended to the very remote dwelling of Glengaber. This was an eerie place and God only knows who would spend time here.

Glengaber.jpg

I lunched by Black Sike before climbing to the col between Glengaber Hill and Peatshank Head where I branched off to take in the latter's summit. From here I skirted round Old Hill to reach the new track by the Lewenshope Burn. This lead to a new house at Lewenshope Hope. It took some looking to find the path through the forest but fortunately I had anticipated this problem and had Google Earthed the route the night before.

In the lee of the wind and sheltered by the forest I was hot and stripped to just a base layer, despite being the middle of January. After crossing a track the path began to fizzle out but I managed to follow old tracks to reach a large fire break which lead directly to the summit of Minch Moor. The light was beginning to fade but I knew I would be on obvious paths for the rest of the walk.

Minch Moor.jpg

The summit of Minch Moor was a wonderfully serene spot at this time of day and I could still make out the Eildon hills, Broad Law group and Dun Rig horseshoe despite the moon overhead.

Minch Moor summit.jpg

From here it was just a case of following the SUW past Minch Moor bothy back to the car. I passed this strange sight en route which was rather grandly called "Resolution Point".

Resolution Point.jpg
this strange formation is apparently meant to encourage heather re-growth...

Minch Moor bothy.jpg

This may not be the most glamorous of hillwalks but the sense of remoteness at all times was strangely intoxicating and I did not see another person all day :D.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:55
Grahams:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: Minch Moor circuit

Postby malky_c » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:36 am

Looks like you made the most of the weather this weekend - I can't imagine any other walk reports showing this much clear weather :)

Looks like a nice route too, and well photographed. Lots of the Southern Uplands are fairly similar to the lower Angus, Moray and Aberdeenshire hills. I always find it difficult to get particuarly individual or memorable images in these kind of hills, something you seem to have managed here.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:292   Hewitts:271
Wainwrights:130   Islands:38

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:38 am

Hi
It looked a nice walk. How do you feel after doing a long walk soon after being ill?

Great pictures :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Grahams:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Rekrab » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:40 am

walked this in sept, and spent the night in the Bothy, I also won £100 walking Minch moor.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=489304&id=607500577&l=7fdc2fd742

MacKenzie,
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Grahams:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:51 am

Rekrab wrote:walked this in sept, and spent the night in the Bothy, I also won £100 walking Minch moor.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=489304&id=607500577&l=7fdc2fd742

MacKenzie,

Won? hmmm :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Grahams:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:34 pm

malky_c wrote:I always find it difficult to get particuarly individual or memorable images in these kind of hills, something you seem to have managed here.

Well I had plenty of naff ones as well :lol: - I had to wield the axe fairly widely before settling on a few.

Merry-walker wrote:How do you feel after doing a long walk soon after being ill?

Fine. I had had 10 days of rest (other than work) so was pretty sure I was back to full health.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:55
Grahams:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland