walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Back in the groove

Back in the groove

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:03 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Blaeloch Hill, Hill of Stake

Date walked: 19/08/2019

Time taken: 4.3 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 629m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Blaeloch Hill, 7km, 220m, 1hr 20mins

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It is a while since I was last out (well just over a week) and even longer for George, over a month. Parminder wasn't able to join us due to school runs etc, he is available for tomorrow so I am the lucky one - hitting the hills 2 days running. This was going to be a good test as to how my fitness levels are progressing after my injury problems.
The forecast, like the previous weeks in August was changeable but we could cope with a few spots of rain. I know George likes to visit 'new' hills so I selected a couple that weren't too far away, George kindly offered to drive. The obvious problem we face when we head south or west is congestion, I suggested to George we leave at 7.30am and stop for a coffee at Harthill on the M8, that way we would hopefully miss the usual gridlock in Glasgow. It was an excellent idea, however things didn't go according to plan. I have never stopped at Harthill before and won't be doing again, firstly westbound only seems to have a filling station and M&S. Not a problem, we saw a parking area but couldn't find the way into it, so in frustration we abandoned that plan and took part in the Glasgow congestion. Our route would take us to places neither of us had ever been to firstly Kilbirnie, where we stopped for coffee and then Lochwinnoch. The plan was to tackle Blaeloch first as that would be easy and we would be back at the car with dry boots.
We would be parking in a nice parking area fairly close to the Clyde Coast & Garnock Valley Crematorium - that looks fairly new and is a few miles from any built up area.
Once kitted up we set off along the track.

Parking area

The crematorium

Looking back

George showing me where we are heading

The map without George's finger

Looking across towards the Clyde after a bit of height has been gained

The way ahead, this track must have cost a few bob to make

Yes here they are

Muirhead Reservoir

A few more of our "green" friends

Video taken from the summit of Blaeloch Hill

Descending now, we opted for the direct route back to the track

Once on the summit which took us 50mins we surveyed the surrounding terrain and the direct route looked pretty similar to what we had enjoyed on the brief ascent after the track, so decision was made and 30 minutes lates we were back at the car. We kept our boots on for the drive back along to Lochwinnoch then up the single track road to Muirshiel Country Park main car park.

Hill of Stake, 10.5km, 409m, 3hrs

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We arrived in the large car park which had a few big puddles and one other car parked. There is a large building that has toilets and an office where there is a park ranger, along with a charge point for electric vehicles. I had a close look at the charge point as I am curious as to how much a charge costs? There are no charges printed so if anyone is able to spill the beans please feel free? I find it rather odd that all garages have to display how much fuel costs, but charging points don't.

The rangers building and vehicle

The other end of the building, toilets etc

George avoided the large puddle

A couple of dog walkers ahead

A wee video of the bridge we would 'bravely' cross on the way back

The way ahead

It is at the next bridge that we turned left and headed uphill - on the path to the mine area

Looking back down the path

The way ahead nice gradual incline

We took the left fork in the path

Interesting facts, you will have to Google to see what was mined

We behaved ourselves and didn't climb over the fence

Quite a bit of debris at the bottom

First water feature

Second water feature

The way ahead, faint path to follow, wouldn't last long though

Another fenced off area

George loving the going up bits

A bit damp ahead

George marching along behind me, it wasn't that way a few months ago

George leading for a few minutes

You can see the faint path

Hill of Stake trig

We opted to take the direct route back which would take us down the nice glen to the fenced off bridge

George much happier now - descending, we would cross the burn as the terrain on the far side was more walker friendly

The way ahead

Not far to our "unsafe" bridge

A huge thanks to George for driving and this turned out to be another cracking day, the weather played ball, apart from a wee shower on the descent. My boots were rather damp on the outside so they wouldn't be ready for tomorrow's outing, so once home it was a matter of getting everything ready for Parminders arrival. Beinn Bhuidhe to follow.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Back in the groove

Postby Jaxter » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:41 am

Let's just say you had a better day of it than us on Hill of Stake :crazy: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby PeteR » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:42 pm

It's not often Lochwinnoch gets a mention on Walk Highlands 😂 On my daily commute to and from work. Blaeloch is my "local" hill, being just a few minutes drive up the road from me. I battled the bogs of Stake from the Largs side. Can't say it made it any easier.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby dibs » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:22 am

Thanks Martin a good report of a good day, but Munro's are easier by far, on Meall Ghaordaidh yesterday and it was a piece of cake against Hill of Stake.

George
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland