walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

midges flies spiders and a tick

midges flies spiders and a tick

Postby Coop » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:32 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Stacath

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Mhór (Balquhidder)

Date walked: 25/08/2019

Time taken: 5.9 hours

Distance: 15.9 km

Ascent: 1050m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked up - the only car there. Wouldn't see another soul until I returned. Followed the WH route to the river and got across ok. Following the good track on the other side would probably get you here a lot quicker. ( although you'd have to scale 2 large fence gates , as I did later on the return)
Big herd of cows on the other side guarding some young. They didnt look as though theyd talk first- fight second, so I gave them a wide berth. More on them later as well.
Pick a line and head up and keep going and going up.
Flies and midgies were starting to really bug me at times( see what I did there :D )
Couple of boulders jutting out later on which was a point to hang a right and up to the trig - and spiders- quite a lot of them on the ground and on the trig, and eventually one on my leg. Quick swoosh and off it went.
Nice view of all the Crianlarich hills from here and the next objective- a fair bit away, and a big descent.
The fenceline takes you almost to its summit.
One point about the fenceline; stay beside it as it descends towards the forest, or you could end up in a world of pain as theres a big drop on it's right.
Finally get on the flat. Watch some deer scaling the fence and now it was over 300m to ascend again to the summit.
Had a bit of a breather, wiped some of the crap from my gaiters and legs and noticed a tick on the back of my leg - well it was more if a mini tank with a mine plough attached to its face. Swish swoosh again and it was off and so was I. Too many beasties today !!.
Tough wee slog up to the couple of stones on top of the highest rocky bit. Found another stone and made it 3 rock's on top.
Now a break at last- sat on the rock with s bit of wind which was a bonus today.
Time to head down - avoiding the ferns!!
You can see once you've descended a bit; there's a fence to aim for on the left or a kind of quad track on the right. I aimed for the fence and the herd of cows on the other side - good says me- there on the other side - too soon
I got closer and they proceeded to run.
I stopped.
Top galloping speed they were at now. Not running at me but at the fence. About 30 going full pelt jumping and over/ through the fence and down to the track they went.
Thatd ruin your day if you were in their road.
Down to the track I went and over two high locked gates- many thanks to the estate for providing the kissing gate, the high stile, and the smaller gate at the side. Wait a minute, they never, that's why I went over!!
A hill I'd put off and put off, despite being relatively close to me which turned out to be a good day and a good walk apart from the beasties. Glad I added Creag Mhor in.
Cheers

Ascent is a rough estimate- felt more actually
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:57+18
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: midges flies spiders and a tick

Postby Craiging619 » Mon May 29, 2023 9:03 am

Just climbed these two yesterday, and I had exactly the same experience with midges on Beinn Stacath. I must be lucky 'cause I've never experienced midges that much on hillwalks (except maybe Beinn Tarsuinn on Arran), but the summit of Beinn Stacath was an all-out assault.

Could hardly even eat my lunch. It genuinely ruined the summit for me, it was that bad. Do they all just live on that hill? :crazy:
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:34
Fionas:40   Donalds:42+14
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland