walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

“Rest” day - nice easy little hills

“Rest” day - nice easy little hills

Postby Jaxter » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:33 pm

Route description: Morrone ascent, Braemar

Corbetts included on this walk: Morrone

Fionas included on this walk: Geallaig Hill

Date walked: 09/08/2018

Time taken: 5.2 hours

Distance: 21.63 km

Ascent: 1054m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous day's adventure - a biggie

Thursday 9th August 2018
Morrone
11.91km
644m ascent
3 hours

After 3 relativey big days an easier stroll seemed in order – and an opportunity to break in my new boots on a smaller walk. After a leisurely start I drove to the start point near the duck pond in Braemar

It was windy but bright

I followed the maze of paths through the trees and soon was out in the open again. The views were awesome towards Ben Avon

Ben Avon zoomed

Braemar

The inner Gorms

The path was a little boggy in places but largely avoidable – it may have been a different story in wetter conditions. It actually turned out that I’d taken a shortcut and if I’d stuck to the actual path I’d have been fine :lol:

As I gained height the track widened and soon it was marked by some huge cairns :shock:

The Gorms

Looking back to the huge cairns and Ben Avon

Lovely Lochnagar

Ben Avon again

When I reached the summit it was pretty windy but there were plenty of buildings and things to shelter behind :lol:

Loch Callater – having explored this area a bit recently I was realising how close everything was!

Glenshee hills

Bit of a balancing act – Morrone summit

Sun hitting the Gorms

I continued along the track – no out-and-backs for me!

Looking back to the summit of Morrone

Gorm-a-rama 8)

Lochnagar in the sun 8)

It was easy walking down the track and my legs were feeling tired after the past couple of days :lol:

Back on the ground I met up with the old military road which was my route back to Braemar

I passed a weird structure…any ideas what this is for?! :shock:

Looking back towards Creag nan Gabhar

I cut up and over towards the viewpoint so save walking all the way through Braemar – the views from here were even better than earlier 8)

Then I was back at Braemar where I did a bit of wandering around before heading back down the road to catch the end of the Ballater Highland Games

Morrone.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday 10th August 2018
Geallaig Hill
9.72km
410m ascent
2 hours 20 minutes

Another morning, another leisurely start….eventually I packed everything up and headed a few miles up the road to Braenaloin where I parked in a layby. Just as I was about to get my boots on the rain started…. :roll: After a while it stopped again and I headed up the track towards Geallaig Hill.

Looking back

It was a good track and easy to walk on. The rain seemed to have cleared and it was good to be out for an easy stroll 8)

It looked dark in the distance but the sun was still shining here :D

I think that’s the Lochnagar massif in the background

The clouds were looking pretty cool!

I startled a few grouse (although they probably scared me more than I scared them :lol: ) and before long the gradient eased…

…I could see a huge cairn

And then I was at the summit of Geallaig Hill 8)

Morven

I could see the cloud coming in; a few rumbles of thunder later and the heavens opened :roll:

What followed were several kilometres of trudging along a wet track in the tipping rain. No photos because it was minging :lol: Eventually I dropped down and then hit the road.

It did stop raining eventually – not the nicest end to the day but better than not doing anything :lol:

Back at the car there was a midge army waiting for me so it was a very quick change of shoes and ditching waterproofs before heading north for the next adventure….

Gealaig Hill.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland