walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great fun on Goat Fell

Great fun on Goat Fell

Postby rob munbett » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:06 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Goat Fell

Date walked: 30/08/2019

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7.9 km

Ascent: 861m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I wasn't going to bother writing this report since I've been over the Arran hills more times that I care to remember but since I did this walk with a friend who is not at all a hill-walker - we do one hill outing a year - I thought I would write it up for him. The weather was set to be very warm so we sailed over on the 7a.m. ferry to avoid having to approach the steeper sections in the heat. Having disembarked, we set off along the 'front' at Brodick and then followed the Fisherman's Walk through the golf course and along the beach to Cladach.
P1040366(1).JPG
Goat Fell from the 'Fisherman's walk'
From here we just followed the usual 'tourist route' up to the summit - up through the woods, through the deer fence on to the moorland track and, finally, up the steep east ridge to the summit.
P1040367(1).JPG
Goat Fell from the moorland track
P1040376(1).JPG
Summit view
This was only my friend's 2nd hill (last year, we walked up Ben Lomond in terrible weather) and he thoroughly enjoyed the views from the summit, where we sat for ages in the sun enjoying our lunch and the 360' views. We set off down the hill and enjoyed chatting to the many groups who had been on the later ferry and it was then that we appreciated the fact we had climbed the hill when it was still relatively cool - many of these afternoon walkers were really not enjoying the baking heat.
P1040372(1).JPG
A view over Brodick Bay - better hurry to catch the ferry!
Back in Brodick, we had time for a sit on a bench in the sun waiting for the ferry. All in all, an excellent day out and one to remember. I wonder what next year's hill will be?

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Grahams:68   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:91   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland