walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Oh my Ghiubhais, I'm in Torridon!

Oh my Ghiubhais, I'm in Torridon!

Postby Jaxter » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:32 pm

Route description: Meall a' Ghiubhais, Loch Maree

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Ghiubhais

Date walked: 06/07/2019

Time taken: 4.35 hours

Distance: 10.08 km

Ascent: 993m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the forecast set to be a bit iffy in the morning we had a late start (even later when Malcy decided to mow the lawn which involved fixing the lawn mower… :roll: ) but finally we were away and parked up by Loch Maree. The weather was still pretty overcast although Beinn a’Mhuinidh looked pretty good

We weren’t exactly feeling motivated but eventually got ourselves going and headed up the mountain trail. There were plenty of signs to help with the motivation… :roll:

Looking back across Loch Maree to Beinn a’Mhuinidh

This sign is so so accurate :roll:

The path led steeply up and I kept having to slow down to avoid injuring myself already :roll: The rock sign that read 305m was particularly dispiriting :shock: but the rocky scenery was pretty cool

Malcy unimpressed with only having climbed 305m :lol:

Back down to Loch Maree – the cloud had closed in again up high

That glen looks cool!

As we gained more height we could see our hill, Meall a’ Ghiuthais, ahead

The top of the path was marked by a small cairn; we paused for a view of a clagged in Beinn Eighe

Rather than clear as the day went on, the cloud had actually dropped again :roll:

Looking across Loch Allt an Daraich to Ruadh Stac Beag

We stayed on the mountain trail for a short distance before heading straight uphill across some boggy ground before it became more rocky. I managed to nearly fall over at exactly the same place Malcy’s Dad had rolled through bog, apparently with a similar sound effect :roll: :lol:

Once on a sort of ridge we could see over to Beinn Eighe again

We then took a rising traverse which led us to the summit of Meall a’ Ghiuthais – a little misty but still a fantastic view down Loch Maree

On the summit!

Beinn a’ Chearcaill with Torridon biggies in the background

Beinn a’ Chearcaill and Baosbheinn

We wandered over to the other summit which gave us a great view of Slioch

And a slightly clearer Loch Maree

We headed down as it was cold and windy and we were both hungry (for once I was more in need of food than Malcy the Bottomless-Hole :lol:

Beinn Eighe, Ruadh-Stac Beag and Meall a’ Ghiuthais

Sgurr a’ Mhuillin

Beinn Eighe finally clear 8)

Slioch and Beinn a’Mhuinidh

Looking back up to Meall a’ Ghiuthais

Back on the mountain trail we dropped down the glen which sheltered us from the wind and gave us more views of Slioch

Whose fault is it?

It was even warming up as we descended

The mountain trail was pretty cool – and adventurous for a “tourist path”

Back at the car we found a camp spot without even having to move and although the sun that was promised never really materialised it was a bonny wee evening

….except for a wee midgies which came out occasionally when the wind dropped. Malcy’s midge net made him look like he was wearing a turban :lol:

Then it was time for bed – we had big plans for the next day 8)

Meall a G.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland