walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Colt Hill utilising 2 wheels

Colt Hill utilising 2 wheels

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:13 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Colt Hill

Date walked: 31/08/2019

Time taken: 1.3 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 390m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another Borders raid on my way home from my monthly trip down south. I had been checking the forecast for Moniaive daily and it was gradually improving as the day got nearer. I was expecting plenty of standing water, as both Friday and Saturday had Yellow warnings of rain and I think from the photo's you will see plenty of evidence.
I was fairly confident the track from the parking area would be cycle friendly even for someone of my limited ability.
In Moniaive there is one of the brown 'touristy' info road signs for Striding Edge, after that the road is single track - just over 5 miles and as you get nearer to the limited parking area the road gets considerably worse. Plenty of potholes full of water and grass down the middle of the road. As you get nearer don't make the mistake I did, I turned left into the front drive of Blairoch as the track straight ahead had a gate across the road. I reversed back once I realised I had taken a wrong turn. The metal gate needs to be wedged open and there is an old tyre to assist, once through the gate it isn't far to the grassy parking area, for about 4 vehicles. You won't be surprised that I was only the vehicle, so I wasn't expecting to see another human being and that is exactly what happened.

Info on a board at the parking area

Parking area, I had turned the car round in case it got busy

The gate, the tyre and the other track that you don't want to drive down

Right we are off, cycling initially until the track starts going up

This is probably a trickle normally

This is the result of a yellow warning of rain

Still pushing the bike

Bike park, not really sure why I locked it

Large turning area for the timber vehicles

The walking now begins, 500m as the crow flies, 79m of ascent. Keep to the left of the fence

Grass was a tad damp

Here we are, arch and trig

Arty shot, trig through the arch - alot of thought went into that!!

Video taken on the summit of Colt Hill

Wind farm in the distance

Last photo as the rain is heading my way

Descending

Just to make sure you go the right way

Sign has been in situ a few years

Taking the bike turned out to be a good idea even though I ended up pushing the bike up 300m of ascent. The ascent took 1 hour, whereas the descent 21 minutes with hardly any pedalling. I didn't bother searching for the other arches as the weather wasn't exactly ideal.
Next for me and quite a few others is another visit to Mull, Ben More for the third time and probably not the last.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Colt Hill utilising 2 wheels

Postby inca » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:35 pm

Interesting to see this hill again. Notwithstanding the horribly bumpy access road, I enjoyed it. Sounds like the bike was a good option.

I'd intended to do the whole Arches thing when I visited. Had a reasonable day for it too. But I changed my mind after visiting the building beside the parking area; the one with a half arch through a wall. Just didn't get it :roll: Saying that, the full arch on top of Colt Hill was pleasant enough.
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:16 pm

Bike was a good option, would be even better without the track being damp as the spray from the wheels was attacking me!
Thanks for your assistance in the planning phase Neil :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby haringit » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:09 pm

inca wrote:Interesting to see this hill again. Notwithstanding the horribly bumpy access road, I enjoyed it. Sounds like the bike was a good option.

I'd intended to do the whole Arches thing when I visited. Had a reasonable day for it too. But I changed my mind after visiting the building beside the parking area; the one with a half arch through a wall. Just didn't get it :roll: Saying that, the full arch on top of Colt Hill was pleasant enough.

The other half of said arch is actually inside the building. It spans through a window. :)
haringit
Mountain Walker

Postby desmondo1 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Good report I have this on my winter list. It was on last years but the weather dictated otherwise. Black ice that morning two cars off the road on way to Moniaive.
Headed along the track to the start, how I never slid off I don't know and some steep drops for a car to roll down, praying not to meet anything coming my way. About half way along the snow started and got heavier. Got to the gate and aborted the mission, big feartie lol.
Hopefully get it done over the next few weeks.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland