walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dubh bimble

Beinn Dubh bimble

Postby malky_c » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:10 pm

Route description: Beinn Dubh - Glen Striddle horseshoe, Luss

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Dubh

Date walked: 01/09/2019

Time taken: 3.25 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 720m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: Mid Hill
Date: 01/09/2019.
Distance: 11 km.
Ascent: 720m.
Time: 3 hours, 15 minutes.
Weather: Cool and breezy with the odd shower.

Just a Sunday quickie really - the weather had been mediocre at best over the weekend, and Jackie had managed to catch a cold (maybe she's learnt about just powering through it from the last one :wink: ). We had briefly considered heading down to the Borders, but the weather looked decent enough up at Luss, and the scenery was better up there anyway.

We were finally on our way after 3:30pm having taken a circuitous route to Luss via the charity shop and the tip. The sun was out, but it was pretty breezy - not a warm breeze like the previous weekend either!

Bridge over the A82

Neither of us had been up this ridge of Beinn Dubh before - I quite fancied it for the scenic views back to Loch Lomond. The path is pretty well worn but a bit wet in a couple of places - views were as hoped for though!

Conic Hill

Looking back to Luss

Ben Lomond appears

The route was steeper than we had imagined (it's quite a long ridge so I assumed it would be pretty shallow), and Jackie was feeling the strain, not really being over her cold yet.

On the Luss ridge of Beinn Dubh

Jackie on Beinn Dubh

Ben Lomond

Across Loch Lomond

Inchlonaig

Beinn Each

Where the path crosses a fence, it's worth taking a short detour to the eastern side of the ridge for an eagle-eye look right up to the head of Loch Lomond. This is one of the best views from the hill, and easily missed as the path tucks into the western side of the ridge.

Ben Lomond

View up Loch Lomond

Islands on the Loch

Across the loch

Balmaha across Loch Lomond

We were up, with just a rather breezy traverse round to the highest summit (Mid Hill) remaining. I heard some interesting 'Aaaagh' noises as Jackie disappeared into the odd bog, but other than that it was uneventful :lol: .

Arrochar Alps

North from Beinn Dubh

Ben Lomond rainbow

Stop ruining my photos!

Ben Lomond and Glen Douglas

Beinn Bhreac and Ben Vorlich

Tullich Hill and the Cobbler

After Mid Hill we were soon dropping steeply down into Glen Luss - a relief to leave the wind behind. On the road, we were a bit miffed to find some ascent on the way out of the glen - I have no recollection of this!

Edentaggart

Descent into Glen Luss

Beinn Dubh from Mid Hill

…and so back to Glasgow after a good breath of fresh air 8) .
Last edited by malky_c on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Beinn Dubh bimble

Postby clararerso » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:11 am

Looks absolutely lovely! How would you say you found navigating the walk - was the path well defined? (I want to get back into walking but really don't feel confident with navigating!!)
clararerso
Rambler

Munros:3   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Beinn Dubh bimble

Postby Jaxter » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:53 am

clararerso wrote:Looks absolutely lovely! How would you say you found navigating the walk - was the path well defined? (I want to get back into walking but really don't feel confident with navigating!!)

Easy up to Beinn Dubh, less well defined from there but still pretty good. Just follow the bog :crazy: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland