walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain from Arrochar

Beinn Narnain from Arrochar

Postby xpfloyd » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:23 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 11/09/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Well im 4 months late writing this report but I thought I better get it in before I completely forget all of the finer details. (I just wrote the report a minute ago but the webpage timed out and I lost it all – grrrrrr)

This was my fiancés second munro after a successful outing to Ben Chonzie. The forecast said it would be dry until late afternoon but the previous night had been very wet. We headed off early and made our way to the car park at Arrochar.

The plan was to head up the direct path towards Narnain from the bottom of the zig zag path to the cobbler, cross Beinn Narnain and then do Beinn Ime before heading back via the Narnain boulders. Within minutes of starting we hit a problem. We couldn’t find the direct path, all we could see was a fast flowing “burn”. After a good few checks of the OS map and a lot of head scratching we eventually realised that the burn was not a burn after all but was actually the path dealing with a night of heavy rain.

We set off in earnest up this route. After about 10 mins the rain came on – heavily!. 10 mins later and it became clear that my waterproof Helly Hansen jacket was not in fact waterproof (since replaced with a different jacket because of this day). We continued on through some very slippy sections and crossed the dirt road beyond the forrest section.

The path was not as wet here but it was a major slog through the next section. The rain was being belted of us by the cross wind, my jacket was leaking all over and to top things off both my fiancés boots had leaked and she was squelching with every step. We were about half way to the top and we were hating it. We just wanted to head back to the car but the route we had just came was so dodgy due to the weather that it would be a lot worse going down the way. I knew that the descent on the other side was easier so we just had to keep going. It was one of those feelings where you just want to lie down and cry lol.

As we approached the spearhead we were getting into the cloud with the occasional whiteout. This section was actually quite enjoyable but the views were limited. After 4 hours and a complete drenching we reached the top. This lifted our spirits slightly and we took some photos before heading down the other side.

When we reached the split in the path instead of going right and heading up Beinn Ime we decided enough was enough and went left and followed the path down past the Narnain boulders , down the zig zag path and back to the car.

Not the most enjoyable day on the hills to say the least.

Eddie

IMG_0998.JPG
Slightly calmer path/burn

IMG_1005.JPG
Approaching spearhead

IMG_1006.JPG
Going through spearhead area

IMG_1012.JPG
Usual flag shot

IMG_1015.JPG
Sun coming out on way down

IMG_1023.JPG
The Cobbler
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:104   

Re: Beinn Narnain from Arrochar

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:10 pm

xpfloyd wrote:Usual flag shot

Not unless you usually look at it in the mirror ;). I think this is a great wee munro - lots of interest and easy to get to :) . One I will do again but hopefully in better weather than you :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:54
Grahams:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: Beinn Narnain from Arrochar

Postby xpfloyd » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:22 pm

People always say that to me, I always hold what would be the pole side of the flag and depending on what way the wind is blowing determines if it's facing the correct way or not. Usual flag shot in the fact that i always take a pic with that flag at the top :)
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:104   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland