walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stuc a Chroin the long way round.

Stuc a Chroin the long way round.

Postby CN51NKY » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:12 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stuc a'Chroin

Date walked: 08/09/2019

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 975m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday 8 September 2019...The plan for our day was to go up Ben Vorlich from the west ridge on good advice from members on walkhighlands due to my fear of exposure....Plans don't always come into fruition 😆.
We took the good path all the way up till the path forks away over open hillside towards a bealach between Ben Vorlich and Ben Our, it started ok but became very boggy and was a bit of a slog through it as we were gradually gaining height.
Once we got to the bealach it became a lot easier and thats where i got my first views of Stuc a Chroin which looked impressive, so impressive i wanted to climb it...." How about we do Stuc first",i suggested..."six and half ", my son Jason and friend Yvonne replied, so that was the plan up in the air and continued along the path towards it.
We walked for 5 minutes or so then hit the bog monster again and slogged it for what seemed hours, I don't mind the muck but after a cpl hours slog it saps your energy .
We finally got to Stuc and my son Jason wanted to do the scramble so we split there and Yvonne and i took the route to the right of the scramble as it was Yvonne's first Munro and with my phobia I'd never have attempted it.
The route we took was pretty steep in its own right with some sections loose with scree but it wasn't that far till we got up it although it was another energy sapper.
The clag coming down helped me climb Stuc as i couldn't see the drops and Yvonne said the same.
Now we were up we had to find Jason and we were having a bit of trouble but eventually met about 50 metres apart shouting to each other through the gloom.
Jason then led us to the summit which wasn't that far and we gained our ticks.
The descent of Stuc was pretty quick as we slid most of the way down, by this time i was feeling it and knew i wouldn't have enough to do Ben Vorlich so once again we split and Jason went to do Vorlich and Yvonne and I headed back the way we came fighting the bog monster again.
By the time we walked around we surprisingly met Jason at the fork in the path at the same time.
We were absolutely knackered, mucky and sweaty but buzzing and totally happy with the days walking.
We will have to return to Ben Vorlich a second time but how can that be bad when you have the fresh air and the scenery and the next time clean feet.
CN51NKY
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland