walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Roan Fell and a Twislehope welcome

Roan Fell and a Twislehope welcome

Postby McMole » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:15 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Roan Fell

Date walked: 05/09/2019

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 375m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A later than planned start led to a slower than desired rush hour crawl towards the Edinburgh bypass and then round it and onto the A7. From there it was an untroubled drive through Hawick then south along the B3799 to the single-track road past Hermitage Castle to park at the start of the track to Twislehope.
Roal Fell route N s.gif
Roal Fell route South s.gif
That meant a 11am start to my walk which, according to the Met Office, should remain dry for another two hours - perhaps. So I made sure I had waterproofs with me.
P1030667 s.JPG
Twislehope's welcoming committee
Having read inca's report I was greeted at Twislehope by the expected pack of hounds - thankfully safely penned behind bars. Possibly intimidated by them I mistakenly headed to their right along the main track between the farm buildings to be met by the farmer who set me on the right (ie left) track. Evidently quite a few walkers make the same mistake. Not surprising when the 1:25,000 map doesn't really have the detail. I therefore experienced another vociferous yapping on my way past the kennels to the footbridge over the stream. From there it was just a case of following the track. One easy ford by some sheepfolds was followed 0.6km later by another to bypass a very decrepit footbridge as the gradient steepened.
P1030668.JPG
Not a recommended crossing
In a little over an hour I was at the top of Hartsgarth Fell where the map shows the track ending.
P1030678b s.JPG
Roan Fell cairn from Hartsgarth Fell
P1030669b s.JPG
The track from Hartsgarth Fell to Roan Fell
It doesn't, but continues along to pass within a few metres of Roan Fell's summit cairn on the other side of the fence.
P1030670 s.JPG
Cauldscleuch Head and Greatmoor HIll from Roan Fell
So far it had been dry with 100% cloud cover and only a very few drops of rain. As I turned to head down, a few seconds of sun appeared raising hopes that more would follow. Approached the col between Hartsgarth and Din Fells I was vaguely considering heading over the top of the latter when it started to lash with rain. I continued downwards instead, only to find that within ten minutes the rain had stopped and not much later the sun reappeared. So I suffered another ear-splitting greeting as I walked past the farm. When I'd chatted to the farmer I'd asked if there might have been any shooting since the map showed grouse butts. He told me that there was none now, and he'd be surprised I saw any grouse at all - and I didn't. It seems all shooting had stopped thanks to the RSPB with priority now being given to hen harriers.
P1030687 2.JPG
The interior of Hermitage Castle
Afterwards with the sun now shining brightly I stopped at Hermitage Castle where I was relieved of £4.80 by Historic Scotland to wander around outside and inside the ruins. I didn't buy any of the books on offer there, but I did make use of the toilet.
McMole
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Grahams:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:132   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland