walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cnoc an Leathaid Bhig

Cnoc an Leathaid Bhig

Postby litljortindan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:37 pm

Date walked: 08/08/2019

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 250m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

You could think of life as being one long walk from the day you start walking to the day you can't, punctuated by work, sleep and various other things that get in the way. Since 2013 my goal has been to punctuate my own life's walk with at least one small hill per month. That seemingly easy task has not been easy at all and I claim to have stuck to it by virtue of some very small bumps. This particuar bump, Cnoc Leathaid Bhig, is small (but wide) in name but not so much in nature as it is a rough and steep start to the peat hag infested lump. A lump with some fine views though.
The 0.5km walk to the shore of Lcoh Cam at the start that feels like a 1km walk because of the bog gets you away from the main road and into a world of quiet with just birdsong and lapping waves to disturb that quiet. The path improved for a short distance after the shore but then I had to go through the deer fence gates and onto no-man's land for the first 100m of rough ascent over less than amenable heather and other person-eating vegetation. The slope levelled off after a while though and then progress became more a matter of will power with peat hag after peat hag trying to dictate the route.
Took a while but eventually got to the pile of stones signalling that no more upwards effort was required. Decent views all around but can't say I 'd recommend this hill for anything else.
Tried to avoid the deep heather on the descent by heading slightly further north but just ended up with an awful struggle along the side of the deer fence which wasn't particularly walkable, more a controlled stumble. Good for the fitness though I dare say.

Only 19km of bog to Lochinver!

Lots of slightly varying views of Suilven.

Cul Beag.

Cul Mor.

Both Culs.

Through the deer fence and onto the rough hillside.

View to north east.

View south west.

Suilven and Canisp. Can't believe I once climbed both the same day.

The less famous Loch Awe with Conival beyond.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland