walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

MEALL A'BHUACHAILLE - windy but lovely winter walk

MEALL A'BHUACHAILLE - windy but lovely winter walk

Postby blueyed » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a'Bhuachaille

Date walked: 20/01/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was the day 5 of our trip to cairngorms and monadliath mts.
After 4 pretty intense days of hillwalking and skiing I needed some rest therefore I went hillwalking again lol but this time I chose meall a'bhuachaille, as the hill is easy, with good paths/tracks and not too long, which is good as me and my partner go willwalking regularly but 2 other guys who joined us definitely don’t. besides they never hiked in winter conditions and I wasn’t sure what conditions exactly to expect, especially how much snow (I knew to expect some wind as cairngorms in general are windy mountains). I've been to meall a'bhuachaille last spring, remember it as a nice walk with great views (see my report here….. ) so we left the car in glenmore and took 'lower' track which passes reindeer centre and glemnore lodge. Quite a lot of snow there, nice and white, almost clear blue sky. We had a wee break at an lochan uaine which was completely frozen. From that point the path became very icy, I believe there were plenty of water sources along as the path was totally covered in sheer ice (we walked on the edge of it, on heather bushes). After few minutes we reached ryvoan bothy. Of course we went in - that was a nice surprise comparing to what I've seen inside last year . Bothy was nice and clean, with visitors log book and even some food left on the table- anyone fancies garlic stuffed green olives? :) two sips of tea and hop -hop up to meall a'bhuachaille. Path was covered in fairly deep snow but it was easy to walk as there was plenty of footprints and ready-made steps which, of course, we used. Some parts of ascent were just frozen snow, that was a hard surface and easy to walk. As the path disappeaerd under the snow further up, we just took direction to the summit and walked across.. whatever was there under the snow :) summit (what a surprise) was a such a windy place that my companions just hid behind the huge cairn (thanks goodness for that shelter!) and I took some pics around.
The views were great; to bynack more (that mountain was really tempting me to walk it, but I had no more days left in cairngorms, it was my last one, definitely will put it for a 'to do summer 2011' list ), cairngorm, braeriach, sgoa gaoith, monadliath mts. We even managed to see a'chailleach which we walked few days before.

Anyway, descent from the mountain was easy, we decided not to go to creagan gorm. Just when we were half way down the hill, we heared terrible noise, I jumped scared lol and it was bloody f-16 flying just over us, so low that I actually expected to see it crush into the mountain at once. After all, it flew over us 4 times.. maybe it waere four f-16s.. (jeeezzzz, what a noise!) and dissapeared. We continued descent and soon reached the tree line and were back to glenmore within 40 mins.

Nice winter walk :)

pics from the same walk -spring 2010 - http://around-scotland.blogspot.com/search/label/meall%20a%27bhuachaille
Attachments
dsc_0001 (1).jpg
glenmore
dsc_0001 (3).jpg
dsc_0001 (8).jpg
dsc_0001 (10).jpg
way up!
dsc_0001 (13).jpg
dsc_0001 (14).jpg
dsc_0001 (17).jpg
the summit
dsc_0001 (19).jpg
dsc_0001 (22).jpg
dsc_0001 (26).jpg
mr bynack
DSC_0006.jpg
loch morlich & monadliath mts
DSC_0013.jpg
loch morlich
DSC_0020.jpg
cairngorm
DSC_0052.jpg
forest track
P1000230.JPG
happy ending :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Grahams:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: MEALL A'BHUACHAILLE - windy but lovely winter walk

Postby fedupofuserids » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:49 pm

I planned to do this during a week spent in Aviemore last summer, but had to change my plans at the last minute - hope to visit sometime this year. Great to see them in winter.

Love the sun-burst pics and the Narnia like forest track.
fedupofuserids

Postby malky_c » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:50 pm

More great photos :D Take it these were from today?

Wish I'd skived off work now :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:272   Hewitts:269
Wainwrights:122   Islands:35

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:16 am

That's it....I've had enough of these reports form today. I resign. Bet your boots, if I get out this weekend all the good weather will have gone ! :shock: :shock: :lol:
Lovely pictures blueyed - and Bynack More in one of the pictures is on my to do list this summer when we're up at Coylumbridge :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland