walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a'Ghiubhais; A window on Torridon

Meall a'Ghiubhais; A window on Torridon

Postby Daveyf » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:49 am

Route description: Meall a' Ghiubhais, Loch Maree

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Ghiubhais

Date walked: 15/05/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 8.9 km

Ascent: 900m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Once again I’m first in the car park well before 5 in the morning. For me it’s the best way to do it. Early start, miss all the crowds, maybe get a few pics on the way up and sit on the summit for as long as I like, enjoying just the sound of the breeze and wearing my eyes out gawping at the view. The big, big bonus today is that the views I’ll be looking at are in Torridon, home of scenery to take your breath away. I’m not climbing any of the big three, but the lesser known Corbett of Meall a’ Ghiubhais.

The car park at the Beinn Eighe Visitor Centre is dark and deserted but for the usual couple of camper vans still tucked up for the night, so once booted up I get started and follow the signs for ‘The Mountain Trail’ which leads me underneath the A832 via the underpass and straight onto the trail ignoring the bridge on the right. The path is easy to follow at this stage, very clear and passing through an ancient pine forest and slowly gaining height. As it’s still before sunrise, I stop every now and again hoping to hear some movement in the trees for maybe a red squirrel or even a pine martin scurrying around looking for breakfast. I hold my breath making not the slightest sound but hear nothing in return. Each time I stop, I swear I can feel the eyes of all the woodland creatures boring into me, probably straining to contain their laughter as they watch the passing muppet stop and start and make so much noise to wake the campers back in their vans now ½ mile behind me.

The ascent starts to get a bit steeper and from a couple of the occasional clearings, views behind start to show the outline of Slioch against the lightening sky.
DSC_0588.JPG
Morning silhouette of Slioch

After approx. ¾ mile after leaving the car park, the landscape starts to change, leaving the mighty Scots Pines behind as the trail now heads up rockier ground. Once above the tree line the view behind improves again, the sun is now just peeking over the mountain tops on the north side of Loch Maree casting a silvery blue sheen on the loch.
DSC_0590.JPG
Slioch above Loch Maree

Passing a number of cairns along the way the rocky route changes once again to huge smooth slabby layers of rock, there are a couple of rises a bit trickier than others but far from anything difficult. The path all but disappears over the slabs leaving tell-tale traces of crushed pebbles from the countless boots that have passed this way, however the route is never in doubt as there are cairns to aim for, it seems there are always two or three in view all the time.

After the slabs it’s back to a stony path and in no time the top of Leathad Buidhe is reached. The summit at 1834ft is almost snuck up on, heading up over the brow and suddenly the views to the south are there slapping you straight in the face almost knocking you over. Beinn Eighe larger than life if that’s possible, Ruadh-stac Beag sitting in front of it, a little further right is Meal a’ Ghiubhais where after a short rest will be the way ahead.
DSC_0594.JPG
The massive Beinn Eighe massif

This mini summit represented by a large cairn and several other smaller ones of course, one of which is named the conservation cairn, really is a great place to view this wonderful area, It’s still only 6:30 and the sun is still low creating long shadows on the north western faces of the mountains. I would be no hardship to sit here for hours and watch the shadows fade away.
DSC_0596.JPG
Hilltops as far as the eye can see

DSC_0600.JPG
At the conservation cairn

DSC_0602.JPG
The conservation cairn

IMG_8116.JPG
Typical Torridon outlook

After a while it’s time to move on, heading down into a shallow bowl, there are a number of lochans which look fantastic reflecting the blue skies in their still waters, the mountains and their mirror images standing proud for all to see, simply a fantastic place to be.
DSC_0603.JPG
Beinn Eighe from one of the many lochans

DSC_0604.JPG
Beinn Eighe from one of the many lochans

DSC_0605.JPG
Meall a' Ghiubhais

DSC_0607.JPG
Meall a' Ghiubhais

DSC_0609.JPG
In the distance, Ruadh-stac Beag & Ruadh-stac Mor

DSC_0611.JPG
Beinn Eighe

The only thing to blight this nirvana is the abundance of cairns, on the way up to Leathad Buidhe there have been more than a few, I’m all for having cairns to prevent people getting lost or even marking a significant spot, but the frequency in places is maybe as often as every 50 yards. I have to say they are very well constructed, not just a pile of stones, but quite solid and put together in the same manner as a dry stone wall. There are so many cairns here that I begin to wonder perhaps this is where they’re made, of born even? Is there a giant beast of Torridon prowling the mountains leaving its droppings behind to solidify overnight? If so I think it may have overdosed on ex-lax! Or is this in fact the sight of a cairn school, where young cairn builders serve an apprenticeship learning their craft and after many years leave with a diploma in stone stacking? Food for thought as I pass another…and another. Soon upon reaching the last lochan; Lunar Loch, I know it’s called this due to it’s moon like surroundings, not that I’ve ever been there, but there’s also (not surprisingly) a cairn saying ‘Lunar Loch’, thinking about this further it dawns on me, just how many lochs are on the moon? Not many methinks, contradiction in terms I guess.
DSC_0614.JPG
Meall a' Ghiubhais from Lunar Loch

Anyway just after this point, pass a few more cairns and bear left passing another cairn and leaving the mountain trail behind. The path now becomes a bit less obvious, no more cairns so it’s a case of picking out a route and heading up the mountainside. Mostly a rocky, boulder strewn ascent of approx. a 1000ft interspersed with the occasional patch of grass.
DSC_0618.JPG
Leathad Buidhe

DSC_0620.JPG
Spot the ptarmigans

Two summit cairns appear on the top, I head towards the nearer one bearing slightly right. As I near the top the first full views to the north appear. Loch Maree heading north towards Gairloch, the northern Slioch shoreline almost dead straight as opposed to the southern Torridon side which is jagged and interspersed with inlets and islands as far as the eye can see.
DSC_0622.JPG
Loch Maree

DSC_0623.JPG
Meall a' Ghiubhais summit

Leaving this northern summit behind, its just a 10 minute stroll over to the southern true summit, a large wind shelter of a cairn and great views all round. Ruadh-stac Beag feels like it’s within touching distance, from this angle it reminds me of a trussed up chicken ready to go in the oven, can anyone else see the resemblance or is it just me? Beinn Eighe has got it surrounded, its numerous peaks stretching around it in a giant arc, cossetting it, looking after it like a precious child. Further west is Beinn Dearg and Beinn Alligin behind it with Sgurr Mhur standing tall.
DSC_0632.JPG
Ruadh-stac Beag surrounded by Beinn Eighe

DSC_0636.JPG
Trussed up chicken?

DSC_0625.JPG
Beinn Dearg amd Beinn Aligin behind

DSC_0640.JPG
View east from the top of Meall a' Ghiubhais

At 2910ft Meall a’ Ghiubhais is not quite a Munro, I wonder if because it doesn’t have that greater status it gets overlooked, which would be a shame, I wouldn’t say the mountain itself is a particularly challenging or technical climb nor is it notably iconic, but the views of its neighbours are top drawer and not to be missed.

Having soaked up the views and put my jaw back in place, I reluctantly leave the summit. The lochans this side of Leathad Buidhe can still be seen from the top, so I more or less head straight at them, down the mountainside, more or less along the same route taken on the way up, still no path but no path really needed. Eventually I end up back in cairn land and on the mountain trail where a left turn along the trail winds its way down to the pine forest. Some beautiful views on the way down of Slioch on the other side of Loch Maree.
DSC_0646.JPG
Slioch over Loch Maree

Just under 2 hours after leaving the summit and I’m almost at the bottom of the trail, over the bridge, turn left and back under the A832 into the car park which by now is just about full. Before zooming off I take a short wander down to the shore line of Loch Maree, another stunning location, views way down the loch and opposite, Slioch rising to great heights above its neighbours.
DSC_0649.JPG
Slioch from the shore ofLoch Maree

A grand way to spend a morning, thank you Torridon.
Daveyf
Munro compleatist

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:99
Wainwrights:58   Islands:2

Re: Meall a'Ghiubhais; A window on Torridon

Postby Graeme D » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:03 pm

I love that view you get of Meall a'Ghiubhais across the lunar landscape and lochans as you come over the rise and into the coire on the ascent up from Loch Maree. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dogplodder » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:25 pm

Better weather than we got (great photos) but still enjoyed this hill with the difficult to pronounce name and as you say gives a great window into the back of some big ones! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby 2manyYorkies » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:28 am

Nice pictures, especially the dawn ones over Loch Maree.
Another hill that makes you question the whole bagging thing, where great “little” ( :lol: :lol: ) hills get relatively little interest compared with ones just a few feet higher.
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland