walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Foggy Conival

Foggy Conival

Postby Grisu » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:39 pm

Route description: Ben More Assynt and Conival

Munros included on this walk: Conival

Date walked: 01/08/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 987m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Trusting the weatherforecast which promised at least good visibility for the afternoon I hoped for fairly conditions for this walk.
DSC02864php690.jpg
hoping for a reasonable walk

DSC02869php690.jpg
In retrospect I better should have gone for the caves

The view towards the mountain didn't look very promising.
DSC02872php690.jpg

DSC02874php690.jpg

When I reached the quartize rags I met a couple coming down. They have done both Munros which has taken them already about 15 km at this point and they gave me some advice how to continue further up along the burn not to get lost in the fog. The prospect of such a long walk alone didn't really cheer me up. Then the fog became thicker with each step and was nastily wet so that walking became a real struggle because the raindrops inside and outside my glasses blocked my vision and made walking very difficult, especially over the rocky parts.
When I reached the cairn at the summit of Conival with thick fog all around me so that I hardly could see more than a few meters and without any hope of a change I reluctantly decided to turn around.
DSC02875php690.jpg
at the summit of Conival

DSC02877php690.jpg
Summit Cairn

I really hated to give up, but considering the risks I already have taken on my way up I thought it wiser not to spoil my luck.
DSC02879php690.jpg

I don't really know how I have managed to get back without getting lost and was quite glad when I was below the fog and savely back to the path. The boggy and muddy parts which were quite extensive in some places didn't make the walk very pleasant and at this time I hardly could imagine to come back to complete both munros. I distracted myself with taking some more pictures on my why down.
DSC02878php690.jpg
view towards the see

DSC02882php690.jpg
glad to be back to the path

DSC02883php690.jpg

DSC02885php690.jpg
view back

DSC02888php690.jpg
view towards Loch Assynt

DSC02893php690.jpg
Looking back to the foggy mountain

I was glad when I was back at the parking and on my way to my hobbit house.
DSC02905php690.jpg
Hobbit House at Loch Shin

At Loch Shin I enjoyed my evening with an enchanting sun set making me forget the tricky walk.
DSC02908php690.jpg

And towards the northwest Conival and Ben More Assynt were teasing me from the distant: fog-free! :crazy:
DSC02909php690.jpg
Conival & Ben More Assynt

DSC02907php690.jpg
Convial & Ben More Assynt
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland