walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairnpapple - Punctures, Headwinds and Sunsets

Cairnpapple - Punctures, Headwinds and Sunsets

Postby Jaxter » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:44 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairnpapple Hill

Date walked: 19/09/2019

Time taken: 3.3 hours

Distance: 2 km

Ascent: 100m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An evening off finally aligned with a good weather forecast which gave me an opportunity to cycle home via Cairnpapple Hill before I lost the daylight. I got away from school about 3.45 and headed up the Innocent Railway line cycle path
ImageHeading up the innocent railway

A quick jaunt through the Meadows and I was on the canal cycle path. As I passed through Edinburgh itself there were a lot of people around which made for slow progress but as I got further out I was able to get going a bit faster as well as picking up a puncture which I had to stop and fix :roll:
ImageAqueduct

Further along I was well out of the city and enjoying the solitude and beautiful surroundings
ImageA beautiful afternoon by the canal

ImageHay bales

Near Broxden I hopped off the canal path and endured some less pleasant miles – uphill, into the wind and along a main road :roll: Luckily it wasn’t too long before I turned off onto smaller roads. The less good thing was that it was even more uphill now :shock:
ImageHeading uphill giving good views back to the Pentlands

Beautiful roads through fields made up for the uphill-ness of them….and finally a view of Cairnpapple Hill
ImageFinally a view of Cairnpapple

Some really bizarre yellow sheep… :shock:
ImageWeird yellow sheep

Finally I had done the climb and was on the wee plateau – although the true summit of Cairnpapple was the trig point I decided it would be worth making a wee detour up The Knock
ImageViews from the Knock to the Forth Bridge

ImagePentland hills

ImageCairnpapple

I met a guy from nearby up here doing a circuit of the three summits – not a bad hill to have as your local! I went back down the same way and spent most of the descent on my backside. Clearly I was not appropriately dressed :lol:

A few metres up the road I could get access to the true summit. Although there was a track to the summit the gate was locked and I didn’t fancy lifting the bike over so just dumped it and continued on foot
ImageAhead to the trig point

As the evening drew in the colours improved and not for the first time this evening I wished I’d bothered bringing a camera rather than relying on my phone :roll:
ImageBiggies in the distance

ImageLooking back to the Knock and the Pentlands

ImageForth Bridge

Demonstrating my appropriate hillwalking attire :lol:
ImageCairnpapple hill summit

Time to get going – I headed back down to my bike
ImageThe Knock

My route back down to Linlithgow went right past the steps up to the monument so I figured it would be a shame not to pop up.
ImageSun setting behind the monument

During opening hours it’s possible to climb down into the monument (for a fee) but it was closed
ImageMonument

It was an incredible viewpoint 8)
ImageStuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorlich

ImageForth Bridge

ImagePentlands

ImageSun descending

ImageHills on the skyline

It was time to go – I had to get back to the station and get home, and it was going to get dark soon!
ImageLooking back to the monument

ImageSome incredible skies

Back at the bike it was a freewheel all the way down and I was just starting to pick up some speed when I saw a brilliant glowing ball hitting the horizon :shock: I hadn’t really thought about sunset but it was definitely worth stopping for 8)
ImageBig red globe

ImageAlmost there

ImageSkies

From here it was lights on as it was definitely getting dark!
ImageIt just keeps getting better!

But the views were incredible and I could see the start of some wonderful pink skies. It was a steep descent and despite the difficulties of the other side I was glad that I hadn't cycled up this way!
ImageMore skies

ImageAmazing pink skies through the trees

At Linlithgow I jumped back onto the Canal path for a few metres back to the station
ImageBack in Linlithgow on the canal path again

ImageSkies

I made it to Linlithgow station where there was a train to Glasgow in 5 minutes – perfectly timed to enjoy the fabulous sky get better and better while I waited 8) 45km on the bike - totally worth it 8)

ImageBouncy bouncy light from the station

ImageThe stats

Cairnpapple.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland