walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Torridonian Adventure

A Torridonian Adventure

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:11 pm

Route description: Ruadh-stac Beag

Corbetts included on this walk: Ruadh-stac Beag

Date walked: 25/08/2019

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Video of fun :

Usually when heading to go for a Torridonian Adventure, I find myself heading along the wonderful Glen Torridon, but today I was missing that junction and heading a little bit further along the road past Kinlochewe and parking up at The Beinn Eighe Nature reserve.

My target was a Corbett I had yet to climb and as with all Torridon Mountains, I was looking forward to this one.

Unusually for this area , it would be a long walk in before heading steeply up the hill. Ruadh Stac Beag sits hidden away on the quieter side of Beinn Eighe and wee bit of effort is required to even reach a point where you can see it! However the slog is rewarded and the rocky peak soon reveals itself as a sight outlier to the main massif of Eighe. Showing no lines of weakness (I didn’t fancy a grade 3 slabby scramble on my own) I decided to head round the back via the walkers route and stop and have lunch at Lochan Uaine – a beautiful spot. However from here it’s a steep steep , rocky pull to the top of Ruadh Stac Beag. A huge boulder field has been placed at a 45 degree angle and provides a stout defence of its summit! The urge to turn every few second to admire the view behind also adds to a rather slow ascent! Once on top, the boulder field continues to the summit, a fine spot to stop and pick out the mountains of the North West highlands on a fine day!

All routes to the top of the mountain are steep so I took a chance and descended down its steep south eastern , scree slopes , the poles came in very handy!

Next was the long walk bac out, but in magnificent scenery – I didn’t really care how long it took me – a fine outing on a fine Torridonian Mountain ….

some snaps:

ImageBeinn Eighe by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageBeinn Eighe Torridon by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageNorth West Highlands Waterfall by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageFLUUFY CLOUDS IN TORRIDON by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland