walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sow of Atholl to break the A9 journey

Sow of Atholl to break the A9 journey

Postby gld73 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:56 pm

Route description: The Sow of Atholl, from Dalnaspidal

Corbetts included on this walk: The Sow of Atholl

Date walked: 22/09/2019

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7.2 km

Ascent: 405m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Driving down to Edinburgh to fly out to Berlin tomorrow, so as usual on my occasional drives south, I did a stop for a walk on the way. Always assumed I'd do the Sow and Meall na Leitreach together, maybe in winter, but I didn't want to take long today - plus the weather forecast was saying rain from the afternoon and I didn't fancy driving in wet trousers the rest of the journey.

Pulled off the A9 at the Dalnaspidal junction, but instead of then heading left which went to the level crossing, I turned right where there was also a parking area. When I couldn't see a level crossing next to it I realised my mistake, but it only added a couple of hundred metres onto an already short walk, so that was fine. I was the only car in either parking area, despite it being a Sunday and currently dry.
Sow of Atholl.JPG
Sow of Atholl from the approach

Went over the level crossing and followed the route, then turned right along the new (substantial) track. I only followed it as far as a branch off to the right a few hundred metres along - though this turned out to be a turning area, muddy vehicle tracks went off from it up towards the Sow of Atholl, so I more or less followed that track for a bit, before it seemed to go more east and then I just headed straight up through the heather and boggy sections. Easy enough terrain, and got even nicer at the summit plateau with soft springy low vegetation. The clouds were now hitting the tops of the adjoining munros, and the weather to the south was worsening, but the summit of the Sow was clear, so easy to find the small summit cairn.
Sow of Atholl summit.JPG
Sow summit. looking west

Had a wander over to the north east of the summit plateau to get a view down the A9 and Drumochter pass, then headed back the same way. A couple of very light showers, but stayed dry otherwise. Felt like it took a bit longer than the exact 2 hours I did it in, but looking at the WH route map afterwards, I didn't go as far along the good track before heading up, I did quite a direct line up the moorland to the summit instead.

Heavy rain a few minutes after I'd got back on the A9, and continued like that most of the way to Edinburgh, so glad I'd done that hill and not aimed for one further south.

Would definitely be easy to do both corbetts here in a day (or half a day), but I'll do Meall na Leitreach another time.

Corbett #41
Left car 1058, summit 1203, back at car 1258.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland