walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bitten by Oss & Lui in challenging weather

Bitten by Oss & Lui in challenging weather

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:38 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Lui, Ben Oss

Date walked: 22/09/2019

Time taken: 10.1 hours

Distance: 24.5 km

Ascent: 2185m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Here we go this would be George's first outing since his cracking compleation, the plan hopefully is to get Parminder to 200 before the end of the year. I came up with the idea of tackling the 4 between Crianlarich and Tyndrum, George volunteered to drive. I looked at my blog to see when and how I tackled them first time round, over 20 years ago and I did them in 3 visits all solo. I did the usual research and downloaded a couple of routes onto my phone as well as the WH route for the first 2. I knew it was going to be a long day and one of the routes I downloaded was Jonathans and as it took him 11 hours I was guessing we would be about the same. With that in mind I suggested an early start and George uplifted me at 5,25am and Parminder at his usual parking spot at 5.30. I had also researched where we could have breakfast and suggested McDonalds at South Queensferry, which worked out a treat as we each had 2 bacon rolls.
The road NW was free of vehicles until we got just the other side of Crianlarich, where there was a sign telling us the road was closed until 8am. There were a few cars in front of us waiting for the road to open as we were there before 7.30, road opened early about 7.45 and we were walking just before 8am.

Car park, Parminder getting kitted up

We didn't see any kayaks

Lovely early morning shot

Good track, George telling Parminder to keep up

New path across the bog

New bridge over the river

The weekly train

Walking through the natural wooded area

Parminder in his usual position

Lovely wooded area

Lovely

Looking across to Ben More etc

Looking back out of the wood now

Water feature

Ben More from higher up, weather still behaving - not for long though

Not much water in this water feature

Looking back

Waterfall

Even less water the higher we get

George showing Parminder where to put the film in his camera

Even less water

Plenty of water features

Trickle

Head down and enjoy

Soon be in the cloud

Arty shot of the sun failing to break through

Not far from our first summit, break in the cloud as it was swirling round

Summit area of Dhubchraig

Summit of Dhubchraig, Parminder wasn't impressed with the "pile of stones"

Weather pretty dire now

Time to stick together

Summit of Ben Oss

Selfie with another couple of walkers in the background, this would be the last photo with my phone as I had to preserve the battery for navigating purposes

Fascinating clouds

May even be Lui?

Parminder demonstrating his ascending posture

George waiting for us after our challenging bit of navigating coming down Ben Oss

Our 3rd summit, we opted to traverse and aim to join the path on the bealach between Lui and neighbour. The plan was very good but what we didn't anticipate were the umpteen undulations

Plodding on through the clag

Looking down on the Oban road from the bealach

More fluffy clouds, Ben Lui is hidden in there

George enjoying the ascent

Parminder leading the ascent

Smiling on the third summit, the smiles wouldn't last

Me demonstrating how windy it was

We are now on the long slog up Lui

Parminder and his unique ascending style

At long last the summit of Lui

The happy couple zoomed

After giving Parminder a 10 minute briefing on how to take a photo, here is the result

Another cairn just along the summit area

It was shortly after leaving the above cairn that we had another navigational hiccup, we followed what we thought was the path off the summit - it was but was heading north. So we came up with a plan to get back on track, this involved more traversing, descending and then another slight ascent.

This is the slight ascent, we would pick up the path at the top

The descent route

Parminder and George following me down

Below the cloud now and we can see the track we are heading for

More water

Descent route was between the two lumps

Another shot of the lumps

Plenty of info on the long walk out to keep us amused

Nice waterfall in the fenced off area

This turned out to another great day out especially when looking back, the soaking we got didn't dampen our spirits. I ended up with very wet feet as the rian was running down the inside of my gaiters, note to self don't leave your waterproof trousers in your own car. The climb up Lui was a proper struggle, it was hard enough struggling after 3 previous summits but with a 40mph wind in our face made it extra tough.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland