walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin

Postby xpfloyd » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:24 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 22/01/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Car to An Caisteal - 2 Hrs
An Caisteal to Beinn a'Chroin - 1 Hr
Beinn a'Chroin to car - 1.5 Hrs

Today I climbed An Caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin. I was supposed to be going with two mates but one pulled out last night at a mates 30th party (which I stayed sober at! - commitment eh :) ) and the second pulled out 10mins before I was to pick him up so for the second time in a week I was climbing alone.

I set off at 07:30 and headed towards the start point. I didnt see anything on the way there due to the thick fog and I was a bit apprehensive about the whole thing if it was to stay all day. Luckily it cleared up nicely just as I was heading away from the car at 08:30. I began the journey by crossing the stile into the farmers field and passing under the railway line. I wasnt really sure if I was supposed to do that at first as the farmer was there feeding his cattle. After delaying a few mins I went for it and he didnt shout at me so I was on my way.

I walked up the path until I had past the forrest on the left then took a b-line for the top of Sron Gharbh. This hill absolutely killed me but eventually I made it up onto the twistin hill section. This section was quite enjoyable and I was glad of the break in incline. Up ahead I could see a high crag on An Caisteal with what looked like a cairn on it so I set my sights for it and headed on. The snow started getting thick the closer I got and alot of it was knee deep on the way up. Totally different from Beinn Ime on Monday. Eventually I got to the top of the crag and low and behold it wasnt the summit. Luckily I wasnt far away and a couple of mins later I was at the summit cairn.

The views from the top were absolutely stunning. This has been the first one in ages Ive actually been able to see anything so it made the whole experience more enjoyable. I could see for miles in every direction.

I then headed of towards Beinn a'Chroin for what would be a scary descent into the Bealach Buidhe and ascent onto Beinn a'Chroin. The bealach was actually alot further into the gulley between the two than I had been expecting. I was also finding it difficult descending into it due to the thick snow and ice on the craggy sections. Once I made it down I couldnt see a clear path up the other side. It looked as though I should be able to follow a zig-zag path through the crags so I began my ascent. I got so far with no issues but then found myself on a section which had failry solid ice below a dusting of snow. I couldnt go any further the direction I was going and I was on a fairly steep section and couldnt go down. It was a scary few minutes working back across. I def need to get an ice axe and crampons. Once Id got out of danger I continued up and along to the summit. The East top looked higher from where I was standing but according to the OS map it was 2m lower so I took some pics before starting my descent down towards the River Falloch.

Going down was a bit tricky in places too due to really thick snow and sections of ice but I steadily made my way and before long I was down at the River. I crossed the river onto its West bank and followed it down towards the path at the bottom and back to the car.

A great day out with some great views for a change. Just that one scary bit that I could have done without.

Eddie
IMG_0610.JPG
Setting Off

IMG_0612.JPG
Looking up Sron Gharbh

IMG_0616.JPG
Looking back to Crianlarich

IMG_0619.JPG
And again

IMG_0624.JPG
Looking ahead

IMG_0628.JPG
Beinn Chabhair on the right

IMG_0629.JPG
Nearing the top of An Caisteal

IMG_0630.JPG
Back towards twistin hill

IMG_0635.JPG
What I thought was An Caisteal summit

IMG_0636.JPG
Actual summit in the distance

IMG_0638.JPG
An Caisteal

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG
Looking towards Loch Lomond

IMG_0649.JPG
Looking across to Beinn a'Chroin

IMG_0651.JPG
Looking back from the bealach

IMG_0659.JPG
Beinn a'Chroin

IMG_0660.JPG
Looking back to An Caisteal

IMG_0663.JPG
Into the valley

IMG_0668.JPG
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Re: An Caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin

Postby goth_angel » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:22 pm

Some lovely views there. :D
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:181   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:24 pm

Lovely stuff Eddie - couldn't see a thing when I was up last August so its nice to see what I missed :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby skuk007 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:49 pm

Great report, you're getting used to this being on your own lark, not sure I would have liked those conditions on my own. :) Nice to get the great views when you reach the top, well worth it.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby xpfloyd » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:57 pm

skuk007 wrote:Great report, you're getting used to this being on your own lark, not sure I would have liked those conditions on my own. :) Nice to get the great views when you reach the top, well worth it.

To be honest if I'd known what the second one was going to be like I would have gave it a miss. First one was easy enough but I had a few hairy moments on the second. Just pricing ice axes at the moment
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby skuk007 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:03 am

xpfloyd wrote:Just pricing ice axes at the moment

Very wise, not that I'm an expert or anything but I guess you know how to use it? I'm a big feartie really so wont risk walks in that cold white stuff if I can help it.
Shame really as I do like looking at other peoples pics when the mountains are covered in snow.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby xpfloyd » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:09 am

Never used one before so just been reading up on axe arrests and all that stuff. I just feel if I'd had one in my hand today I would have easily have got out my situation but as I didn't I had to back track really slowly trying not to slip of a crag. I suppose I prob should have been more prepared in that respect but last week on beinn ime there was nothing like the amount of snow and ice as this and I just assumed it would be the same.
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:25 am

:)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby monty » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:12 am

Nice one xpfloyd.
The ascent up Bein a Chroin was steep enough in the summer so without crampons it must have been really difficult in the conditions. :shock: When I was on Beinn aChroin I also thought the other top and looked much higher, I almost set of over to it but on consulting the map I was in the right place :D
monty

Postby davgil » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:11 pm

Well done xpfloyd, I'll be doing these soon so hopefully get as good weather as you did.
Nice photos too.
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:22 pm

davgil wrote:Well done xpfloyd, I'll be doing these soon so hopefully get as good weather as you did.
Nice photos too.

Funny you should say that cos I'm looking to do your recent two, vorlich and vane, soon too. Was just reading your reports yesterday

Eddie
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby davgil » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:22 pm

Isn't it great to have so many recent reports when you plan a walk, along with the weather forecasts you have a pretty accurate idea of the specific hill conditions before you go. Great site!

David
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby davidsda » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:16 am

Hi

I tried to do this hill a few weeks back and weather was really bad with very low cloud. I had difficulty finding the "car park" and ended up turning off to the right - heading north at the time - into a long narrow slip tupe road, is this the car park or have I missed it. Would like to go back this weekend and try a walk up towards twistin hill and onwards if weather permits. Can someone confirm this is the car park to use?

D. :?
davidsda
Munro compleatist

Munros:28   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby xpfloyd » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:34 am

Hi David,

I also missed this carpark at first as it was foggy. It doesnt sound like you were in the right place. The "car park" is a long layby on the right hand side of the road if you are travelling in the Crianlarich direction. It is where the River Falloch turns away from being parallel with the road and heads into the Glen. The railway track is also very close to the road at this point.

Once in the layby you will see a stile to get across the fence into a field (full of cattle last weekend). From there head towards the railway track and you will see a small pedestrian/cattle underpass. Once through that you are in the glen and An Caisteal & Beinn a'chroin are on the right ahead of you. Access can also be made from here to Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain to the left

Eddie
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby davidsda » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks, Looks right I was further south down the road. Collegue just fired up google earth and I can now see the long layby. Hope the weather holds out for everyone over the weekend and thanks for the reply.
D :D
davidsda
Munro compleatist

Munros:28   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland