walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

September sunshine above Lochcarron

September sunshine above Lochcarron

Postby malky_c » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:48 am

Munros included on this walk: Maol Chean-dearg

Corbetts included on this walk: An Ruadh-stac

Date walked: 26/09/2019

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1400m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Munros: Maol Chean-dearg
Corbetts: An Ruadh-stac
Date: 21/09/2019.
Distance: 18 km.
Ascent: 1400m.
Time: 8 hours, 30 minutes.
Weather: Warm, sunny, breezy early on.

A rare weekend back in Inverness, and the weather was looking fantastic on Saturday. As we had come up the road rather late the night before, I wasn't in the mood to get up early. But no worries - there are plenty of great places within an hour's drive 8) .

We had initially considered An Teallach, but the wind was looking rather brutal, so we opted for something a little less exposed. An Ruadh-stac was an obvious choice, with Maol Chean-dearg as a potential add-on. Finally on the go from Coulags shortly after 11am, we left the busy parking area behind and headed up towards the Coire Fionnaraich bothy.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

An Ruadh-stac

Coire Fionnaraich bothy

It's always difficult to tell how well glens will recover from hydro scheme development when they are in the middle of being built, but Coire Fionnaraich seems to be faring pretty well. 5 years ago I wasn't even aware it was to be developed; 2 years ago it looked a complete mess, and now things largely seem to have returned to how they were - even the upgraded stalker's path is of a pretty similar character to previously. With some of the mess around at the moment (particularly where restoration hasn't been carried out properly), it can be quite pleasing to see that it is quite possible for areas to recover fairly quickly.

Clach an Fionn-chon and Fuar Tholl

Maol Chean-dearg

Back to Fuar Tholl

We made a reasonable pace up to the col below Maol Chean-dearg, where we stopped for lunch. We were quite well protected from the wind here, but it could be seen making dramatic patterns on the loch below. We decided to go for An Ruadh-stac first - Jackie's bagging instinct meant that if she decided she only wanted to go up one hill, it should be the one she hadn't been up before :wink:

Meall nan Ceapairean

Beinn Damh

An Ruadh-stac from Bealach a’ Choire Ghairbh

Loch Coire nan Ruadh-stac and Beinn Damh

Maol Chean-dearg

South of Strathcarron

On An Ruadh-stac

Looking up the slabs

Joking aside, An Ruadh-stac is the more impressive of the pair from this direction, and despite being very rocky, is barely more than a walk in the dry. Higher up, we passed a group and I spotted Greg - a friend who I'd gone to Rum with a couple of years earlier. Just before the summit, we were recognised by Gail (gld73). I was wondering who else we might bump into :lol: .

Back to Sgurr Ruadh

Ben Alligin and Maol Chean-dearg

Beinn Damh and Ben Alligin

A bit breezy at the top, but still good enough to spend a bit of time admiring the views. Regardless of which of the pair of hills is more impressive, you can't deny that An Ruadh-stac has an inferior view of Torridon. We decided that barring dramatic injuries on the way down, we'd carry on to Maol Chean-dearg.

Black Cuillin

Beinn na h-Eaglaise

A few rocks were dislodged on the way down, and Jackie managed to pick a couple of stupid routes, but we were soon passing by the loch at the base of the ridge, where a trio were setting up camp.

Nap time

Lost? Idiot!

The ascent of Maol Chean-dearg was easy by comparison, although briefly a bit of an effort in the warm afternoon. We were glad we had included it, as it definitely had the better views at this point in the day. Enough to accidentally spend 30 minutes sitting around.

Meall nan Ceapairean

Skye and Rum

Last ascent to Maol Chean-dearg

An Ruadh-stac

Liathach

Ben Eighe

Liathach

Ben Alligin

Glen Torridon and Ben Eighe

Summit Jaxter

Down to Glen Torridon

East to the other Coulin hills

I had persuaded Jackie that the east ridge was a preferable way down as it was on sandstone rather than the angular quartzite of the lower SE ridge. As usual she fell for it and after an easy start, we plowtered through steep heather on the side of the ridge before reaching flatter ground. It was Jackie's longest walk in a while and her knees didn't really enjoy my route choice (even though I found it easier)!

Walking back out past the bothy

We then strolled back out to the car in the falling light, an excellent day behind us.

Last light
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: September sunshine above Lochcarron

Postby gld73 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:25 pm

It was a cracking day for An Ruadh-stac; with hindsight wish I'd revisited Maol Chean-derg too as I did it in rubbish weather last year and didn't get any views (struggled to even find the massive cairn!).
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=81703
Come to think of it, every time I've gone to Lochcarron I've had rubbish weather, Saturday finally broke my 3 year curse! :D
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby jimbell21 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:20 pm

Wow! Days don't come much better than that. So clear! Top day out.
jimbell21
Mountain Walker

Munros:205   Corbetts:36
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:27   Hewitts:4
Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:47 pm

It was certainly great weather up that way on Friday and Saturday. Good way to enjoy it. Thanks :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland