walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Odhar

Meall Odhar

Postby Coop » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:32 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Odhar

Date walked: 03/10/2019

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 12.1 km

Ascent: 550m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Feeling under the weather but still wanted to get out somewhere close.
Meall Odhar from tyndrum it was. Parked st the diner and set off to the railway crossing and hung a right. Along to where the boulders and scree indicated to me to turn left and head up...
Up the scree and rocks past a few fenced off holes/shafts. Straight up and over the top with the views of Ben lui and surrounding hills getting better. Onto the summit and then down towards the forest. The 2 open sections are on the left but I went towards an obvious gap on the right. Wasnt sure if it would provide a decent way through but it did - a half decent firebreak which was only boggy a bit towards the end. Emerged at the fence and stayed this side of it which led to a gate at the farm.
The goldmine looks busy with diggers and dumpers going back and forth. The signs are also on the gate, telling of blasting warnings and showing routes around the mine.
Onto the track and after about 50 metres theres a sign pointing through the forest saying " meall odhar 1m".
I reckon the way I'd came out the fiorest was probably less denser. Maybe its just keeping you a little further back from the mining operations.
On along to where you meet the WHW and followed this back through Pinetrees campsite to tyndrum.
They welcome you with signs everywhere advertising the shop and walkers welcome. Also a sign saying the toilets are not public- I was happy to walk another few hundred metres to spend my money after this!
Nice wee short walk today

Ascent is approximate
Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:57+18
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland