walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Don't STOB me now, I'm having such a good time!

Don't STOB me now, I'm having such a good time!

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:24 pm

Route description: Stob Ban (Grey Corries)

Munros included on this walk: Stob Bàn (Grey Corries)

Date walked: 28/09/2019

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 20.7 km

Ascent: 925m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's been 3 weeks since our last mountain and 3 weeks on flat ground is far too long for a panther, so despite minor injuries, we took advantage of reasonable weather on Saturday and traveled to Spean Bridge to visit the Greys :D
Originally we hoped for a nice day in the far north, but forecast suggested rain in Assynt so we preferred to follow the good conditions and go south this time. Well, not too far south, but enough to avoid getting wet.

We had already climbed all hills in this area, but why not re-visit something? Because we were still unsure how our sore backs and necks would react to uphill movements, the full traverse of the Grey Corries was out of question. Thankfully, the good old Stob Ban can be climbed as a separate outing, 6 to 7 hours and about 900m of ascent, with comfortable approach on a decent track. Higher up, there is a well-worn path (a bit wet in places, just typical for a Scottish hill :lol: ) leading to the very summit. WH route returns the same way, we decided to vary the descent and go down via Corrie Claurigh:

Track_STOB BAN.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After a long and bumpy crawl up the infamous Coire Chollie track, we arrived at the bottom car park (this was as far as we dared to drive), but to our disappointment, all we could see was a road disappearing in the mist:
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 104 by Ewa Dalziel,
Thankfully, it was only the morning fog, which dispersed soon, and when we started walking, the day was shaping up nicely:
View across the moorland to the distant tops of the Aonachs:
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 006 by Ewa Dalziel
Poor Wee Minister needs some lichen removal:
2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 007.JPG

The walk through Lairig Leacach was pure pleasure. The surrounding mountains were dressed in the fifty shades of autumn and the cloud was lifting, if slowly. We knew we were in for a decent day!
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 019 by Ewa Dalziel
Had we started a bit earlier, we would have seen more of the cloud inversion:
2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 018.JPG

It's funny that when you walk down the pass between the Greys and the Innses, you can't see your target mountain for quite a long time. When it eventually comes into view, it looks tiny compare to the neighbouring Stob Choire Claurigh:
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 020 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/184957896@N08/
So far, I was in good mood, despite my stiff back, and I just wanted to enjoy this lovely walk. Having passed the bothy, we located the cairn marking the start of the climb. It was muddy in places, but it didn't deter me from jumping, hopping and meowing :lol:
"I'm gonna go, go, go
There's no stopping me!"
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 025 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
After the first 300m of ascent (some careful maneuvering required on the path where it follows a small stream - water erosion) the angle eases off and the path becomes drier, with truly breathtaking views to the nearby hills.
The Innses of course, draw attention:
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 028 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Panoramic view of Stob Ban and the main ridge of the Grey Corries, temporarily still in clag:
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 054 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
The Easains, another duo to repeat one day:
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 034 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
The final 150m of ascent is again steeper, but a sensible path can be followed. Don't stop me now!
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 039 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Once on the summit, we took a long break for photos, lunch, gazing in the distance, discussing possible routes for Creag Ghuanach, etc. We started late, yet it was only half past twelve when we arrived on Stob Ban. Theoretically, we had enough time and energy to nip up to Stob Choire Claurigh, but we didn't want to overdo it today. One Munro must suffice!
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 116 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
I was glad that despite some lingering cloud, we had good views in all directions. The advantage of picking a slightly lower hill :wink:
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 054 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
As we sat on the summit, the main ridge of the Greys cleared as well:
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 059 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
The southern ridge of Stob Ban and the eastern Mamores in the distance:
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 066 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
View down to the col connecting Stob Ban and Stob Choire Claurigh:
2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 110.JPG

Distant Loch Laggan and the two Laggan Grahams to the right:
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 051 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Sgurr Innse - one to revisit for sure!
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 052 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Lucy celebrated a round number of 120 Munros!
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 061 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Ready to go!
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 073 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
During our previous visit to Stob Ban in 2014, we descended via Corrie Claurigh and this time we decided to do the same. In our opinion, it adds some interesting perspective to the route, allowing to see Stob Ban from a different angle, and the corrie itself harbours some interestingly shaped rocks. But before we entered the corrie, first we had to negotiate the eroded, scree-covered northern slopes of Stob Ban. Care is needed here, especially in wet conditions:
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 078 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr

View into Coire Rath, where we spotted a large herd of deer. Stags were very noisy today!
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 076 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Having reached the col, we looked back and agreed, next time we will reverse the route. Probably easier to go up the scree than down it!
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 083 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
The next few minutes we spent admiring the geological wonders of the Grey Corries. Can you spot the Panther in the picture below?
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 087 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Eventually, we located the path descending into Corrie Claurigh:
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 090 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
The bottom of the corrie was wet and the path here less obvious, but our attention was drawn to a nice set of waterfalls:
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 094 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
We found the path again (if following Allt Chuil Choirean, it appears at some point on the left side of the stream) and continued downhill, stopping from time to time, just to admire the shapely peak of Stob Ban:
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 097 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
The path joins the bigger track just before the bothy. I don't mind a bit of bog, but returning to dry underfoot was a welcome change. Now we could just walk back to the car, at a lazy pace, enjoying the rest of the walk, the views, the fresh air, the beautiful colours of autumn, the freedom of being OUT THERE.
Sunny weather on the way back:
Image2019-09-28 stob ban grey corries 101 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
I can recommend Stob Ban on its own as a good shorter day, just be mentally ready for a few squelchy steps :wink:

As for what comes next weekend... Well, it all depends on Storm Lorenzo!
Last edited by BlackPanther on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:12 am, edited 13 times in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: Don't STOB me now, I'm having such a good time!

Postby rockhopper » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:26 am

Good to see that the low cloud disappeared - would have been a bit of a disappointment if it had stayed. Hope your injuries are healing up. The rate at which you're going on repeats, you'll just about have done a second round just after you finsh the first ! :wink: Thanks :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby KatTai » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:33 pm

Great report but now I won't be able to go up any hills called Stob without getting that song in my head :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:23 am

I have re-instated all broken photos in this TR, hope it now works for all users :D Apologies for the technical problem - not my fault!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland