walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gorgeous Glenfinnan walk/cycle and camp

Gorgeous Glenfinnan walk/cycle and camp

Postby mrssanta » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:26 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Thuilm and Sgùrr nan Coireachan

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glenfinnan), Sgùrr Thuilm

Date walked: 01/10/2019

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After climbing the Loch Lochy munros, we drove round to Glenfinnan, where we found that the car park at the end of the track was closed with a locked gate and boulders across the parking area. We went to the NTS car park and popped into the visitor centre and they were happy for us to leave the car overnight.
When my mum was a little girl during WW2, she used to travel by train from Glasgow to Glenfinnan and then get a steamer down Loch Shiel to stay with her grandparents at Acharacle. Last summer my mum and I went to have a look for the old pier, arriving at Glenfinnan shortly before 11am and being treated to the amazing spectacle of the field in front of the viaduct being full of literally hundreds of people staring through their phones at the viaduct waiting for the "Harry Potter train" to come through. We also visited the monument and discovered that the guide there was probably a distant relative on my father's side.
This time it was not quite so busy but there were still lots of people around humming Hedwig's theme and coming and going.
After some faffing about and sorting fresh gas and food supplies, we got on our bikes for the ride up the tarmac road to Corryhully. It's a smooth road and a fine cycle for someone who does not really like cycling. We decided to go a bit beyond Corryhully where the track becomes very rough and steep. We made it as far as the ford at 917850 before deciding we needed to stop, find a flat place for the tent and eat some grub. It took a bit of hunting about but we found a spot some distance above the track which included a handy plank for sitting on and balancing the stove on. By the time we got the tent pitched and ate our grub it was getting dark and time for bed.
It was a windy night but we had our 4 season tent so no worries there (having been hit in the head by bending tent poles in the past it was comforting). In the morning there was the sound of light rain on the tent which was not what we were promised, but it stopped pretty much as we emerged and the day got better and better, with the cloud base gradually lifting and the sun coming out.
PA014083.jpg
camp in the morning

We took the WH route anticlockwise as recommended. We left our bikes and camping equipment in the grass and set off about 9am. The route up to Sgurr Thuilm is marked with a neat little sign.
I took a lot of photos and it is difficult to pick just 25 but I will have to try.
PA014093.jpg
Here comes the sun over the top of Streap

PA014094.jpg
today's ridge

PA014098.jpg
Top of Sgurr Thuilm appearing

At about 11am we heard a hooting sound and turned round just in time to see the steam train crossing the viaduct away in the distance.
We were caught up by two chaps from Manchester who were faster than us, and passed us when we stopped just short of the summit of Sgurr Thuilm for our first lunch at about 12. We didn't see another soul all day, but we heard a lot of roaring stags!
PA014103.jpg
Happy mugs at first lunch, view to Stob Coire nan Cearc along the ridge from Streap

PA014107.jpg
Gulvain behind, that's tomorrow's plan

PA014111.jpg
Rudolph on Sgurr Thuilm, behind him the route onwards and Rum Cuillin in the distance

PA014112.jpg
me too

It is definitely a rough ridge with a lot of up and down, and we were so pleased that it was clear and sunny, as the views are tremendous!
PA014113.jpg
View over to Knoydart and the Rough Bounds, Ladhar Bheinn is in the centre

PA014114.jpg
Loch Arkaig

PA014118.jpg
the dramatic ridge coming off Sgurr Thuilm

PA014120.jpg
Knoydart, place of wonder mystery and delight! (and exhaustion as I recall!)

PA014125.jpg
another view of Sgurr nan Coireachan as we round another corner

PA014129.jpg
Loch Arkaig again

PA014131.jpg
I like this one, Sgurr na Ciche becoming easier to make out in the middle, far distance is Beinn Sgritheall, Knoydart hills to the left of that.

PA014134.jpg
Looking back along the ridge to Sgurr Thuilm, loch Arkaig in the distance again

PA014135.jpg
Rudolph on Sgurr nan Coireachan

PA014136.jpg
And me, trying not to look too knackered. I think I managed

We stopped for pudding (freeze dried papaya and pineapple, surprisingly tasty and restorative) and another cuppa on the summit of Sgurr nan Coireachan. While we were stopped we could see some bits of weather closing in from the west with Skye disappearing into cloud.
PA014139.jpg
Distant Ben Nevis with her hat off

The route down from here is very steep and at times we wondered how we were going to get down the next bit, but at each stage the way became apparent.
PA014140.jpg
The way down is steeper than the picture suggests. Goes to the top on the left, then down the back of it, not down the obvious ridge to the right.

PA014146.jpg
a small shower and a rainbow on the ridge

PA014149.jpg
looking back down Glenfinnan

PA014150.jpg
moody view to the West now

We were glad to arrive at the top of the stalkers path and a straightforward easy gradient back to the track.
PA014155.jpg
back on the track

And for some reason, as we reached the track, the old Celtic blessing came to mind. "May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your face, may the rain fall soft upon your field, and until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand."
And with that thought in mind, we looked back at the hills we had climbed
PA014156.jpg

retrieved our bicycles, and whizzed back down to the car arriving back at just on 6pm.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Gorgeous Glenfinnan walk/cycle and camp

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:35 pm

Some nice autumnal pictures there.

I found this pair quite tough.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Gorgeous Glenfinnan walk/cycle and camp

Postby mrssanta » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:39 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Some nice autumnal pictures there.

I found this pair quite tough.

Thank you. I did too, although I did expect them to be tough, but very beautiful, and great to be able to look around and identify peaks we have already climbed
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland