walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gulvain, slog up, lovely ridge.

Gulvain, slog up, lovely ridge.

Postby mrssanta » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Route description: Gulvain, near Kinlocheil

Munros included on this walk: Gulvain

Date walked: 02/10/2019

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is part three of a 3-part walk, cycle camp trip making the most of a weather window which MWIS was kind enough to grant us. Good that it also coincided with a week off work!
We had got back to the Glenfinnan car park at 6pm leaving us very little time to find a camping place before dark. We needed some water as well, so it was a quick turnaround, parking in the small layby at the start of the turnoff to Strontian. We set off up the glen by bicycle looking for the first flat place with water. It was a tough climb up the first part of the track and we had to push the bikes a good bit. By the time we came down the other side of the slope, it was almost dark, and we were relieved to find water and a flat bit of bog, pitching our tent by torchlight and eating our tea in the dark.
It was a clear, quiet night with the most amazing stars and some ice on the tent at 2am, but by morning the frost was gone and the tent was just sodden with condensation.
PA024157.jpg
not a bad camp spot considering it was quite dark

Again we were serenaded by bellowing stags, and as we ate our breakfast, one passed close enough by us to take his picture. Not quite close enough for a good quality picture but beggars can't be choosers! My camera does lovely close up shots but not zoom.
PA024160 (2).jpg
Hello Mr Stag! I'd shut up if I were you, with that kind of noise you might end up getting shot!

The sodden tent didn't matter as we had no plans to carry it any distance so we stashed the camping gear and set off by bike up the glen. The WH guide suggested that we might need to abandon the bikes at Uachan but actually we managed another couple of km (admittedly with some cursing from me) to about 980835 before stashing the bikes in a stand of bracken.
Glen Fionn Lighe is very beautiful but I didn't get any photos as I was too busy cycling and needed both hands. You'll just have to go yourself!
We set off walking with the intention of filling our water bottles at the burn marked on the os map at a height of about 250m but when we got there the burn was dry and we had to go downhill about 30 metres - this was embarrassing as it was just at this point that the two chaps we had met yesterday caught up and passed us.
PA024162.jpg

PA024164.jpg
all looking autumnal now

PA024165.jpg
sun coming out

PA024166.jpg
straight up. There are some helpful zigzags in the bottom steepest section

From here it is a long, steep climb up the nose to reach the ridge and it felt like it was going to go on for ever.
PA024167.jpg
view down the glen aka let me catch my breath

PA024168.jpg
nice bit of sunshine and a lovely view over to where we were yesterday. Streap on the left, Sgurr Thuilm on the right and Sgurr nan Coireachan sticking up between them

But all things come to an end eventually, and after about a year we reached the small top at 855m where there is a good sized cairn. From here the slope flattens out to become a rather lovely ridge.
PA024169.jpg
ah, we are getting somewhere! The 961m top coming into view

PA024170.jpg
View down to Loch Shiel

The weather was cold but fine, with little wind, but not the same superb views and clarity that we had had the previous day.
When we reached the summit at last, it was still and quiet and we had an extended stop including freeze dried rice pudding and a lie down.
PA024171.jpg
Rudolph on the summit at last

PA024173.jpg
and me with Loch Shiel behind

PA024175.jpg
having a wee snooze with my peppermint tea ( I ran out of milk)

And then it was a matter of retracing our steps to the bikes and cycling out.
PA024177.jpg
looking the way we came and the way we go back

PA024178.jpg
Rudolph thinking by the trig point.

PA024181 (3).jpg
I stood and watched this wee guy for a while - this is the best bird picture I am ever likely to get. I believe it is a Snow Bunting

PA024183.jpg
Looking down to Ardgour

PA024186.jpg
rowan berries

PA024192.jpg
hairy caterpiller on a heather twig

The cycle out was FUN! even though I did have to push the bike a bit for the final climb after crossing the river.
This was the end of our adventures, and probably our last Munro-bagging trip of 2019. Just nicely timed for the Kingussie Chippie on the way to Rudolph's folks in Deeside.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Gulvain, slog up, lovely ridge.

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:18 pm

Remember that slog up in the heat. Just wanted to lie down and go no further. :eh:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:46 pm

Never took the bike on this one, absolutely loved the walk in,never saw anything on the summit.

So it's gonna need to be next year before we hopefully cross paths.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:43 pm

It's a long slog up this lovely hill, but an eagle swooping just above me livened up my ascent about 20 years ago :D
I've seen huge flocks of Snow Buntings in the highlands at this time of year - I guess they're migrating somewhere. In the Alps they can be quite tame - I think people feed them :)
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby PeteR » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:12 am

My therapist advises me not to read reports on Gulvain :lol: I found the slog up this one to be really draining.....then the disappointment that the trig wasn't the summit quite deflating.....took me far longer to do the there and back again than I suspect it should have done.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby mrssanta » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:37 pm

dogplodder wrote:Remember that slog up in the heat. Just wanted to lie down and go no further. :eh:

Glad it's not just me then
gammy leg walker wrote:Never took the bike on this one, absolutely loved the walk in,never saw anything on the summit.

So it's gonna need to be next year before we hopefully cross paths.

One day our paths will cross... There were some lovely bits of river in the Glen that we never stopped at right enough
past my sell by date wrote:It's a long slog up this lovely hill, but an eagle swooping just above me livened up my ascent about 20 years ago :D
I've seen huge flocks of Snow Buntings in the highlands at this time of year - I guess they're migrating somewhere. In the Alps they can be quite tame - I think people feed them :)
]

Ooh lovely pictures thank you

PeteR wrote:My therapist advises me not to read reports on Gulvain :lol: I found the slog up this one to be really draining.....then the disappointment that the trig wasn't the summit quite deflating.....took me far longer to do the there and back again than I suspect it should have done.

Lol do I'm not the only one, good to know!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland