walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cobbler

The Cobbler

Postby Del246 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:25 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 22/01/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 920m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First time at this so here goes-

Set of from the car park at Arrochar about 0930 hours on the 22/01/2011. It was thick fog but my friend assured me once we had climbed a couple of humdred feet we would be above the fog and blue skys would be waiting. I wasnt to sure ! We then zig zagged through the trees.

DSC00962.JPG
Just past the trees looking back at Ben Lomond

We followed the path and The Cobbler came into view with blue sky behind !

IMG_0388.JPG
The Cobbler

We carried on past the Narnairn boulders and came to a fork on the path. My friend managed to convince me to go left and tackle The Cobbler from the front. To start with it was quite straight forward however it soon became a bit of a scramble for a novice like me. Maybe this was not the best idea when there was still snow and ice about.

IMG_0370.JPG
Tackling The Cobbler form the front

After several small breaks to catch my breath/rid myself of fear we reached the summit. The summit was superb with very little wind and clear views.

DSC00966.JPG
Summit

We also had a great view of Beinn Ime

IMG_0383.JPG
Beinn Ime from the summit of The Cobbler

We then returned via the tourist path at the rear of The Cobbler. This was quite tricky due to the ice on the steps.

Back at the car park I felt quite a sense of achievent on completing my first Corbett giving the route we took.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: The Cobbler

Postby davetherave » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:37 pm

Bloody hell, first post and you get a cracking inversion. Im still waiting on one half as good as that. :sick:

Good pictures and a cracking day well done. I still have this Corbett to climb......
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby monty » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:06 pm

Great inversion on your first post. :D Nice walk
monty

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:06 am

Lovely photos there Del - well done :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby talisker96 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:51 pm

Good pics - had similar experience climbing up onto Aonach Eagach ridge with peaks of Glencoe poking up through the cloud. Beautiful. Planning to take dog up it again on Wednesday so thanks for the pics - was worried there might be too much snow, but looks like it gets he thumbs (paws) up.
talisker96

Munros:1   

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:03 pm

OMG cracking pictures

And what a Corbett to do too :thumbup:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Del246 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:10 pm

If you are going on Wednesday you should be fine with the dog unless there is a sudden change in weather. There was a chap on the summit on Saturday with his dog. Everyone I saw on Saturday got to the summit without crampons which is just as well as I don't own a pair yet !! Thanks for the kind comments and hopefully it's Ben Lomond this weekend.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby talisker96 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Went up yesterday. Intended going up tourist route at back but quickly changed my mind once blasted by the gusts coming down the glen and went up front with little buffeting but was still very icy and crampons wouldn't have gone amiss. Wind subsided by about 11 so decided to head up Ben Narnain too, but had to nip up quickly to the top and back down cos dog wouldn't climb over the icy boulder field just below summit...he can sometimes be more sensible than me!! Great day for January and could see over to Ailsa Craig.
Attachments
Cobbler & Narnain 260111 (8) copy.jpg
From summit of Narnain looking toward Beinn An Lochan
talisker96

Munros:1   

Postby tango » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:14 pm

A cracking photo of the Cobs!!! :lol:
tango

Postby Just_Bev » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:42 am

Gaw, I hope it's like that when I venture up there for the first time on 13th August :thumbup:
Just_Bev
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland