walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Word of warning

Word of warning

Postby Scotia101 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:04 pm

Route description: John o'Groats Trail: Alness to Tain

Date walked: 04/10/2019

Distance: 21 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A wee word of warning for anybody doing this Oct 2019 onward. The section after Easter Stoneyfield heading east (stage 2) through the woods is almost impassable in places. Timber extraction is currently ongoing and the machines have left a right mess
Scotia101
Mountaineer

Munros:11   Corbetts:5
Fionas:8   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:37   

Re: Word of warning

Postby dogplodder » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:44 am

I recently walked the first stage from Inverness to Culbokie and parts of that were 'interesting' too. Definitely a work in progress. :eh:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby briansolar1 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:57 pm

Which part of the Inverness to Culbokie trail is an issue?
I have been on this a number of times recently and found it in good condition. Haven't seen the final say 2km from Bogbuie Wood to Culbokie recently though- but if there is logging there you could surely avoid it on the road.

There is a little bog at this time of year on the south side of Munlochy Bay just east of Bayhead Farm Cottage but other than that this section of the trail is fine I think - and its a good walk.
briansolar1
Wanderer

Munros:188   Corbetts:19
Fionas:217   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:148   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:18   Islands:23

Postby OlgaHammock » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:58 pm

I’ve just the Inverness to Culbokie trail and had no problems at all.
OlgaHammock
Walker

Postby dogplodder » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:17 pm

briansolar1 wrote:Which part of the Inverness to Culbokie trail is an issue?
I have been on this a number of times recently and found it in good condition. Haven't seen the final say 2km from Bogbuie Wood to Culbokie recently though- but if there is logging there you could surely avoid it on the road.

There is a little bog at this time of year on the south side of Munlochy Bay just east of Bayhead Farm Cottage but other than that this section of the trail is fine I think - and its a good walk.

Sorry have only just seen this. The issues we found were in September 2019 and are hopefully no longer a problem. They are described in my report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=93539
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland