walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wet! Wet! Wet! Giving Am Faochagach Some Welly!

Wet! Wet! Wet! Giving Am Faochagach Some Welly!

by Roger T » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:00 am

Route description: Am Faochagach

Munros included on this walk: Am Faochagach

Date walked: 02/10/2019

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 700m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Wet! Wet! Wet! Giving Am Faochagach Some Welly!

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:12 am

Fantastic report brought a smile to my face on a wet morning in Fife.

When I/we tackled this lump it had been dry so the river was barely a trickle, that was the good news as we saw diddly squat and was still damp underfoot. I still have that lump to visit on my 2nd round so we need a heat wave some time next year and we will then get re-aquainted.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:39 pm

It wasn't boggy at all when we did it :lol: :lol: Just took an age to dig the car park out, and we never made the summit as it took soooo long to walk through the soft stuff, great day nonetheless :D

F1.jpg

F6.jpg
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Kendonm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:22 pm

Great conditions today, bog half frozen. Made the hill a pleasure. No big drifts above snow line to slow you down either. Decent boots and well fitting gaiters got me over dry both times.

Spotted abandoned wellies on other side, I was first on the hill, they were covered in frost so took them away on my return.

Genuine mistake? Lose? Or litter?
Attachments
AF212F79-DFC5-4453-BF1B-0BE051AA2A43.jpeg
Found on opposite bank
E60B214E-5E40-4E03-9E4F-BDA62CAB2C7B.jpeg
Not your average litter find
Kendonm

Munros:119   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:10

Postby Sgurr » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Kendomm:I suppose the person who was bivvying out somewhere just had to get wet feet, though I always leave a note in wellies for which we are returning e.g. These wellies belong to Sgurr WALKHIGHLANDS.COM who is returning for them dd/mm/yyyy. If you have to steal them, note that I will complain all over the internet.

(Though having done the same for rucksacks on Tryfan, everyone will just think I have looked by the wrong rock https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=76476)
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Grisu » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:40 pm

Very enjoyable reading! :clap: :clap: I think I'll fly over only after a very dry season :crazy: Thanks!
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Postby prog99 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:21 pm

Grisu wrote:Very enjoyable reading! :clap: :clap: I think I'll fly over only after a very dry season :crazy: Thanks!

Or walk in from Strath Vaich. Longer but no major burn crossings and arguable a nicer route anyway (I've done it both ways)
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Grisu » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:25 pm

prog99 wrote:
Grisu wrote:Very enjoyable reading! :clap: :clap: I think I'll fly over only after a very dry season :crazy: Thanks!

Or walk in from Strath Vaich. Longer but no major burn crossings and arguable a nicer route anyway (I've done it both ways)

I'll have a look next summer, Thanks! :wink:
Grisu
Walker

Postby Kendonm » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:26 am

Sgurr wrote:Kendomm:I suppose the person who was bivvying out somewhere just had to get wet feet, though I always leave a note in wellies for which we are returning e.g. These wellies belong to Sgurr WALKHIGHLANDS.COM who is returning for them dd/mm/yyyy. If you have to steal them, note that I will complain all over the internet.

(Though having done the same for rucksacks on Tryfan, everyone will just think I have looked by the wrong rock https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=76476)

Yes good point, have dumped bag at many a bealach or popular Scrambling area. One summit I didn’t even enjoy view as I knew leaving bike lock and van keys in the bag was a bit too trusting.

Made a call that these looked discarded and no bivviers (known for light moving and probably not having a kilo of welly on them) around.
Kendonm

Munros:119   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:10

Postby Graeme D » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:51 pm

I have to admit that I rather enjoyed it - the hill that is, although the report is pretty decent too! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Magoo82 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:31 pm

I intend to leave this one for the depths of winter when hopefully the worst of it will be frozen solid.
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   Islands:15

Postby Grisu » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:06 pm

I am still laughing when I think of this report, it was such a fun to read and I would say it deserves the webtog-prize :thumbup:
Grisu
Walker

Postby jmarkb » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:55 pm

Magoo82 wrote:I intend to leave this one for the depths of winter when hopefully the worst of it will be frozen solid.

If the bog is that well frozen, then ice may well complicate the river crossing!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:14 pm

prog99 wrote:
past my sell by date wrote:This must be one of the favourite "Do I really have to "Munros" :lol: :lol: In 1998 I drove up the track to Loch Vaich - I don't know whether I was allowed, but nobody stopped me - and it was quite a pleasant and relatively short walk from there. There were wonderful old Scots pines at the start :D

Don't understand why more folk don't use this route (although I don't think you can drive up the private road any more).Its much better than the shorter route and no major burn crossings.

My thoughts as well,is it just the bagging thing and the book route rather than exploring a map and finding a alternative route.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Bonxie1 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:36 am

Enjoyed that squelch report! AF is next on my re-bag list. Had a practice on Moruisg a couple days ago when the Yetis earned their crust. I was perilously close to the LC Spar! Excellent fish supper in the LC Hotel...
Bonxie1
Munro compleatist

Munros:25   

Postby The English Alpinist » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:34 pm

Well said! Mind you, some of your pictures actually make it look beautiful. My solution was to do it in winter (well, March) and wear snow boots. They kept the mud out perfectly and were even watertight against the river crossing. The drawback, though, was sore feet and beaten up joints and muscles from all the tussocking.
Also, nice to see what it looks like with 'a bit' of visibility and no snow up there. The only bit I recognize from your photos is the river crossing!
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

26 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland