walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Interval Act on Beinn a Chuallaich

An Interval Act on Beinn a Chuallaich

Postby old danensian » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:43 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chuallaich

Date walked: 21/09/2019

Time taken: 3.45 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 697m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sometimes our reports say more about the writers than the outing they attempt to convey. Whether intentional or not, it’s part of the charm of dipping in and out of threads on the forum or following names as their latest account appears.

I’ve been sat here today, cradling Lemsip after Lemsip, nursing the sniffles and watching the rain hammer onto the window, all to the accompaniment of a medicinal Talisker.

Sad, I know, but walkhighlands has been a sanity saviour today.

While the Other Half was south of the border for a few days I had hoped for an excursion north, but I’ve not even managed an hour in the garden. As a result, I’ve been able to finally catch up with my outstanding reports. Rekindling the enjoyment of each day by revisiting the views through the photographs and recalling the details of each walk from the jottings in my notebook have been a meagre substitute.

But the quick trip up the Corbett Beinn a Chuallaich has generated lengthy notes that appear somewhere between the surreal and the bizarre.

There are a few phrases that relate to a hill; some mention weather, heather and a curious flock of sheep. Most would be more suited for articles in the arts pages of the weekend press or reviews in The Stage.
After spending a blood-splattered evening at a hard-hitting production of The Duchess of Malfi in Glasgow, we drove north to enjoy a weekend trip with friends in Pitlochry, based around another couple of evenings at the theatre there. Sandwiched between a dodgy production of Elizabeth Gaskell’s North and South and the thoroughly entertaining Blonde Bombshells, the others indulged in a threatened retail binge at Bruar.

I was allowed out on my own.

On returning south we were then due to see Scottish Ballet’s interpretation of Arthur Miller’s The Crucible, which kept popping into my mind and my notebook as I wondered what it would be like.

So, as my notes tell more about my theatrical crits, I’ll just let the photographs tell the story.

BaC-01.jpg
The start from the only parking space on the B847 doesn't reveal much - just a slope

BaC-02.jpg
But after just a hundred metres you don't need the shelter of a bothy - clamber over another gate to the track above

BaC-03.jpg
After crossing the track that contours round above the fence - just go up - not easily, depending on the thickness of the bracken and heather - and aim for the hump of Meall nan Eun above the Loch na Caillich

BaC-04.jpg
Once over Meall nan Eun the hill sweeps round and up to Beinn a Chuallaich

BaC-05.jpg
Choose - cairn or trig? Plenty of shelter.

BaC-06.jpg
Lengthy views along Loch Rannoch and beyond - and there's no need to seek for the obligatory profile of Schiehallion in the distance - it's smack in front of you - just unphotogenic, straight into the sun, and not snapped

BaC-07.jpg
And finally heading south down the ridge to Tom na Moine from where a bee-line can be taken to the north east and back to the road - a bit of a tussocky stumble before getting to the woodland but at least it wasn't wet

It was that eclectic mix of performances that intruded again and again as I typed this evening, only pushed aside by a BBC Four programme on Fleetwood Mac playing in the background. When I finish, Rumours will be played again … and again.

The next Lemsip will have a Bushmills chaser as the Talisker bottle is now in the recycling.
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: An Interval Act on Beinn a Chuallaich

Postby PeteR » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:34 am

Enjoyed reading your recent reports Nigel. This is one of those less frequented hills I'd imagine, particularly given its over popular neighbour. I enjoyed it though and thought it gave some pretty good views
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland