walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Idiots Day Out

An Idiots Day Out

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:13 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: High Rigg

Date walked: 19/06/2019

Time taken: 3.9

Distance: 12.2 km

Ascent: 569m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sometimes not everything goes to plan on a walk and sometimes its all your own fault. Lack of planning, forgetting things you've actually read about on other walk reports and simply being a stubborn idiot can all be contributory factors. The plan was to link Raven Crag and High Rigg visiting Shoulthwaite, a "hidden" valley to turn it into a proper circular walk.

I don't know what the current situation is but back in June, for it was then then this walk occurred, a zonking great pipeline project was underway which basically barred barred access to Raven Crag from the East. Some aimless and frustrated wandering took place, paths were taken which shouldn't have been and idiots got turned around with their tails between their legs.

To cap it all off a new set of lightweight boots caused some very painful blisters on my heels even though I wore lining socks. :?

I'll let the pictures and route map tell the story as I have little appetite to re-live this day.

ImageSt Johns Beck by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRaven Crag looking positively alpine by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOff up High Rigg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

And looking back down by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDodd Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Fox Gloves in bloom by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTarn on Yew Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageView back to Thirlmere by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOver to Skiddaw by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHigh Rigg Undulations by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back up Thirlmere by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSkiddaw from the South top of High Rigg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie enjoying a breather by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageClough Head and Calfhow Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBlencathra from High Rigg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSkiddaw from High Rigg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHelvellyn from High Rigg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSand Bed Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageReflections by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn the way to Wren Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAcross St John's in the Vale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBlencathra at the end of St John's in the Vale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCastle Rock by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAqueduct on the way up Castle Rock by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDevistation by Anthony Young, on Flickr

A nervous look up by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThirlmere from the top of Castle Rock by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHigh Rigg from Castle Rock by Anthony Young, on Flickr

High Rigg.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: An Idiots Day Out

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:00 am

At least it was a nice day and you got some good photos.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Pointless Parasite » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Brilliant route map :lol: I had a lot of bother when I climbed Raven Crag last year. I approached from the other side after climbing Armboth Fell and was unaware of the forestry works. It was a complete nightmare descending, with some very confusing diversion signs.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby trailmasher » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:18 pm

Can't beat an idiot's day out Anthony, had a few of those myself in the past :lol: but nevertheless a decent walk on a couple of good hills :clap: Great How across from Raven Crag is a nice little hill with some good views to be had from the top 8) . Easy access and egress and now that Raven Crag is once more open for business you could maybe fit 'em both in on a future walk :wink:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Broggy1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:18 pm

Not an idiot at all.

I linked these two not long before you - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=88562 - and found similar issues.

I was lucky in that I was coming down Raven Crag when the unhelpful signs were met so the diversion was doable (and I'd already hit the summit) but it did make me wonder how anybody not visiting Raven Crag after Armboth Fell etc would actually find a way to the summit.

I'd have these kind of problems before in Dodd Wood and Wythop Wood.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Postby dav2930 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:54 pm

That blasted pipeline has been causing havoc! Still, it looked a nice day out all the same and, as Geordie12 says, at least you got some fine photos. :)

It was very interesting to see your pic of the damage and debris left by the bungalow-sized block that fell from the top of Castle Rock; could have been worse I suppose! :shock: I haven't been up there since the warnings were issued. One of my favourite climbs, Overhanging Bastion, has been altered out of all recognition and is still too unstable to be climbed safely. :(

Your photos of both Raven Crag and Castle Rock are excellent.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Sgurr » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:57 pm

We also fell into those problems with Raven's Crag, but luckily ran into them early on. Have sent you a trip report from elsewhere.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:13 pm

Gordie12 wrote:At least it was a nice day and you got some good photos.

True enough. Still better than work :D

Pointless Parasite wrote:Brilliant route map :lol: I had a lot of bother when I climbed Raven Crag last year. I approached from the other side after climbing Armboth Fell and was unaware of the forestry works. It was a complete nightmare descending, with some very confusing diversion signs.

I really don't know why he picked the blinking thing. On round one we got away with a straightforward forward ascent, might have known it would come back to bite me.

trailmasher wrote:Can't beat an idiot's day out Anthony, had a few of those myself in the past :lol: but nevertheless a decent walk on a couple of good hills :clap: Great How across from Raven Crag is a nice little hill with some good views to be had from the top 8) . Easy access and egress and now that Raven Crag is once more open for business you could maybe fit 'em both in on a future walk :wink:

I was tempted by Great How but only had time for either it or Castle Rock. I guess with it being a Birkett I'll tack it on when I return for Raven Crag ( along with the other couple of Birketts close to Raven Crag).

Broggy1 wrote:Not an idiot at all.

I linked these two not long before you - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=88562 - and found similar issues.

I was lucky in that I was coming down Raven Crag when the unhelpful signs were met so the diversion was doable (and I'd already hit the summit) but it did make me wonder how anybody not visiting Raven Crag after Armboth Fell etc would actually find a way to the summit.

I'd have these kind of problems before in Dodd Wood and Wythop Wood.

Take away all the restrictions and I think my planned route would have been fine. My idiocy was more a case of poor planning and stubborn pig headedness :lol:

dav2930 wrote:That blasted pipeline has been causing havoc! Still, it looked a nice day out all the same and, as Geordie12 says, at least you got some fine photos. :)

It was very interesting to see your pic of the damage and debris left by the bungalow-sized block that fell from the top of Castle Rock; could have been worse I suppose! :shock: I haven't been up there since the warnings were issued. One of my favourite climbs, Overhanging Bastion, has been altered out of all recognition and is still too unstable to be climbed safely. :(

Your photos of both Raven Crag and Castle Rock are excellent.

To be honest I really didn't feel safe and I include my decision to continue on past the warnings and the very graphic sight on the smashed gate as part of being an idiot :lol: You can see the huge amount of rock that cleaved off from the lighter patch. I'm really not sure if you can get up there by going around the other side but perhaps I should have tried :think:

Sgurr wrote:We also fell into those problems with Raven's Crag, but luckily ran into them early on. Have sent you a trip report from elsewhere.

I read your report, quite the faff on. At least you got there however, unlike me.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland