walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tom & Toll - cashing in an I.O.U. in Glen Affric

Tom & Toll - cashing in an I.O.U. in Glen Affric

Postby Graeme D » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:08 am

Munros included on this walk: Toll Creagach, Tom a' Chòinich

Date walked: 14/10/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1200m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a few jars the previous night in the Clachaig with Mr and Mrs Bellis and Mr and Mrs Harper, I set my sights on Glen Affric. As Alan had said last night, it is a fair drive up there from Glencoe but it had always been in my mind as I was planning my four day pass over the last few days and weeks. After all, Glen Affric owed me one! :lol:

The rain had come in as forecast overnight but Monday morning had dawned on a fairly positive note.It still looked like it could go either way though so if I was going to head for Glen Affric, it would probably be for the two eastern Munros. I am still haunted by the fiasco of my attempt to do the Mam Sodhail-Carn Eighe-Beinn Fhionnlaidh trio back in the summer of 2017.That had been aborted after a clag bound 2 hour sit in in the Mam Sodhail shelter cairn and I had sworn that it would have to be a guaranteed wall to wall sunshine day before I would try again.

It was also almost noon by the time I was ready for the off from the big new parking area near Chisholme Bridge so I suspected I might struggle for daylight hours on that route. Tom a'Choinich and Toll Creagach it would be then!

IMG_9597.JPG
Back to the car park and Loch Beinn a'Mheadhoin from the new walkers path

IMG_9600.JPG
First sighting of a distant Tom a'Choinich

I decided to tackle the more appealing looking Munro first via the craggy south east ridge over Creag na h-Inghinn. The track was making for excellent, quick, dry progress but this all changed after the little dam on the Abhainn Gleann nam Fiadh where the good track suddenly morphed into a section of monumental bog fest as far as the Allt Toll Easa.

IMG_9609.JPG
Tom a'Choinich and An Leth-chreag behind, from the Allt a'Choire Odhair

The bog was left behind as I took to the ascent ridge with views opening up behind me back down into Glen Affric as well up into the upper reaches of Gleann nam Fiadh towards Mam Sodhail and Carn Eighe. Higher still and Sgurr na Lapaich, the highest of the Mullardoch Munros began to pop her head above the skyline to the north.

IMG_9621.JPG
Toll Creagach

IMG_9623.JPG
On the ascent of Tom a'Choinich

IMG_9625.JPG
Further up the ridge

IMG_9627.JPG
Gleann nam Fiadh

IMG_9631.JPG
Sgurr na Lapaich across the other side of Loch Mullardoch

IMG_9632.JPG
Toll Creagach above Loch Mullardoch

IMG_9633.JPG
Looking back down the ascent route to the start

An easy walk on a gentle gradient across short grassy slopes soon brought me to the summit cairn and despite the lack of blue skies, the views were still good. Certainly a huge improvement on my previous Affric summit! :lol:

IMG_9635.JPG
Toll Creagach and Glen Cannich from the summit of Tom a'Choinich

IMG_9636.JPG
Towards Sgurr na Lapaich and Carn nan Gobhar

IMG_9637.JPG
From summit to start

IMG_9643.JPG
Contemplating my next target

IMG_9645.JPG
Carn Eighe and Beinn Fhionnlaidh

IMG_9646.JPG
An Socach and An Rhiabhachan

After my outing in the Mamores yesterday and today's efforts so far, I was now thoroughly in mountain mode and set off for the thoroughly enjoyable walk down to the Bealach Toll Easa and up on to the easy, grassy plateau of Toll Creagach. There was not a soul around and not a sound apart from the October breeze. I was utterly in the zone and in my element. :D

IMG_9647.JPG
Descent to the Bealach Toll Easa

IMG_9652.JPG
Sit back and enjoy the stroll!

IMG_9653.JPG
Back to Tom a'Choinich

I was soon at the sprawling, rounded summit of Toll Creagach complete with summit cairn and trig point a short distance away. I spent a good 15 minutes or so sat by the trig point just taking in the sense of isolation and peace before heading due south down over Beinn Eun from where a tricky descent down through some crags led onto a boggy track that soon emptied me out onto my inward route and a couple of kilometres of track back to the car.

IMG_9656.JPG
Tom a'Choinich and Beinn Fhionnlaidh from the summit cairn of Toll Creagach

IMG_9659.JPG
Beinn Fhionnlaidh, An Socach and An Riabhachan

IMG_9660.JPG
My less good side and a distant view towards the Beauly Firth and the Black Isle

IMG_9664.JPG
An Socach, An Riabhachan and Sgurr na Lapaich across Loch Mullardoch from just below the trig point

IMG_9665.JPG
The road home over Beinn Eun

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Tom & Toll - cashing in an I.O.U. in Glen Affric

Postby 2manyYorkies » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Glad to hear you spent some time in the zone Mr D, mind and soul truly sorted I hope. :D
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:117   

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:10 pm

I haven't been up Tom & Toll since the hydro digging took place. Looks like the scars in the glen are healing :D

Glad you enjoyed your time in Panther's home territory!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:41 pm

Doctor, I'm sorry to say that the patient has relapsed...................................
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland