walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie - another misty walk

Ben Chonzie - another misty walk

Postby Grisu » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:50 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 10/07/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 766m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is going to be a short report about another misty walk with no views but some interesting companions along a mysteriously veiled ridge and a silent witness at the cairn.
DSC00192php690.jpg
The start of the walk from the parking at Coishavachan

DSC00195php690.jpg
scenery on my way up

DSC00197php690.jpg
The long track provided easy going

DSC00198php690.jpg
some more scenery

DSC00205php690.jpg
Invergeldie Burn

DSC00207php690.jpg
Two walkers coming down

At the point where I had to turn left I met two walkers coming down. We had a little chat about the weather conditions further up and they reassured me that the line of fence posts would lead me directly to the top and that I couldn't loose the path. However, sometimes it wasn't easy not to loose the fence posts out of sight. From these two walkers I learned how to pronounce Chonzie :D
DSC00208php690.jpg
Now the walk began in earnest

DSC00210 php690.jpg
Looking back to the track

DSC00211php690.jpg
My shy companions

DSC00214php690.jpg
What a shame! They didn't want to pose

DSC00215php690.jpg
What a collar!

DSC00217php690.jpg
The line of fence posts

Short before the top a family and two other walkers appeared on the ridge but on the summit I was on my own apart from this little bird perching on the huge cairn. To me it looks like a dove, who knows better?
I wondered why it didn't fly away. I moved carefully around not to disturb or scare it because I thought it was injured or thick but I couldn't find any hints apart from the unusal fact that it didn't move away. I was tempted to take it with me but finally decided against, hoping and wishing the best for that little fellow.
DSC00218php690.jpg
My silent witness

DSC00225php690.jpg
scenery on my way back

Shortly I read the report of Graeme D Return to Chonzie almost 12 years from the Big Bang and he referred to a common opinion that Ben Chonzie is supposed to be a dull Munro good enough for beginners. Well it definitely was a dull day and for me as a beginner it offered me the opportunity to gaine at least some more experiences while walking in the mist plus another tick off. :wink:
Grisu
Walker

Munros:53   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland