walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall nan Tarmachan - clearing my backlog

Meall nan Tarmachan - clearing my backlog

Postby Grisu » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:10 pm

Route description: The Tarmachan Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 24/04/2016

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was a cold and cloudy day in March and it was supposed to be the first Munro my friend and me were doing together. I just have come over from the Lake District were I have done Scafell Pike and Blencathra on guided walks in similar conditions. And my friend said he has done this walk before, so I was happy to keep going. :D

I can't remember much about the path only that there had been some confusion at the beginning about which direction to take, and I remember that I saw the Lochan na Làirige and the huge Dam for the first time which I found quite impressive - but these constructions are always impressing me.
Higher up the ground was partly covered with snow, the visibility got low and at some places it was unpleasantly windy.
WP_20160324_12_57_39_Pro_LIphp690.jpg
Hello

I guess it was short before Cam-Chreag that we had a break under a huge flat roof-like stone which gave us some shelter.
WP_20160324_13_41_19_Pro_LIphp690.jpg
Lunchtime

When we resumed walking, we met walkers with heavy stuff and crampons and they said that they had turned around because they thought it too dangerous.
I had the funny feeling that my friend was just too eager to follow that warning but I am always reluctant to give up only upon what other people say 8) and so we (may be only me?) decided to have a look ourselves and we continued walking. I vaguely remember a steep descent but nothing really serious.

There was only one scary situation. Whenever I look back to this moment I still hold my breath. It was a short but very tricky section we had to climb-scramble over. Even under dry conditions it would have been not easy. But that day it was wet, icy, snowy, windy, everything one just didn't need.
While my friend was already waiting on the other side I got forward only centimeter by centimeter, realizing at one point that I never would be able to make it back and now being forced to go on. He asked, whether I need a helping hand but I had no hand free to reach out for a helping hand :crazy: .
For the first time in my life I really thought the next move could be my last. Somehow I was standing on a kind of Cliff and below it was going down very steep. Slowly slowly I finally managed.

After this test of nerves we followed some haggis paths, barely visible, along the ridge in very poor visibility.
IMG_0153php690.jpg
checking the map

I can't really remember if we made it to the cairn of Meall nan Tarmachan, honestly but my friend assured me that we did. At this time I still didn't really care and didn't know that is something important about munro-bagging. :lol:

We descended from Beinn nan Eachan with some glissades down untouched snowfields. I remember that our waymark was a burn and I know now that it was the Allt na Ceàrdaich. Further down we had a short break in this wilderness with views down to the valley at the far side of Loch Tay.
IMG_0161php690.jpg
wild scenery

IMG_0162php690.jpg
having a breather

We passed the Quarry and reached the track at the second dam, short before the path which leads towards Meall Liath.
IMG_0164php690.jpg
Looking back from the track, not sure whether the peaks in the distance to the left are part of the Tarmachan ridge

Although the walk back to the parking seemed sheer endless we were quite cheerful once for being back on solid ground and twice about our first munro that we have done together. :D
Howsoever, in hindsight I would give this walk only a three on a scale out of ten and I have no particular reason for this, so blame the weather :wink:
Last edited by Grisu on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grisu
Walker

Munros:58   Corbetts:2
Grahams:1   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: Meall nan Tarmachan - clearing my backlog

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:38 pm

Photos capture the character of one of those typical days on the hills - especially "Lunchtime" and "Checking the map" - sometimes I end up looking as much at the map and compass as the scenery (if visible at all...)

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:95   Corbetts:10
Grahams:2   Donalds:1
Hewitts:148
Wainwrights:103   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland