walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Meagaidh from the Lochan

Creag Meagaidh from the Lochan

Postby Louise993 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:25 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creag Meagaidh

Date walked: 18/10/2019

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Club Weekend up at Newtonmore

Staying at Strathespay Mountainm hostel
Anne, Lyndsey, Linda, Wilma, Iain and Brian and Rob

The plan was to leave the house early doors and do Creag Meagaidgh and the other I still had to do Stob Poite Coire Ardair, However, I slept in lol

Back in May 2014 (See report) Jim and I had done Carn Liath in the snow and wind, hence the reason we only did the one that day.

Got to the car park at 12:50 thought ill still go for at just assess time and make sure I'm only coming down in the dark on the good path.
Great walk up to the beautiful glen and lochan only took an hour and a half. However, that screen window was a nightmare. The weather was closing in too. I ended up going up the scary path that WH says not too purely by accident. If I had realised west of the window meant once you get to the foot of the window continue on the Path till almost the back of the window then starts to ascend east. This would have made a lot more sense than the current description, to me anyway :lol:

Decided at the window I wasn't going to be able to do the 2 today given the lack of daylight so opted to do Creag Meagaidg the other one would have to be another day. Got back down to the car for 720 ish. Had torch on for the last hour. An excellent path so wasn't a big issue.
The top map is on the way up the second the way down ( had stopped the Suunto by accident, I noticed at the summit.
The picture is of the hideous scree window from the lochan. which by the way is played down on the WH descriptor, its nasty!
Attachments
IMG_20191018_174240508.jpg

Move_2019_10_18_12_46_59_Mountaineering.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Move_2019_10_18_16_21_42_Mountaineering.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Louise993
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland