walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Triple Corbett leg burner.

Triple Corbett leg burner.

Postby davetherave » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:22 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaisteil (Auch), Beinn Chaorach, Beinn Odhar

Date walked: 23/01/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 17.3 km

Ascent: 1661m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Sunday 23rd January 2011
Completed by. Dave, Julie and Wilson
Weather. Cloud but clear for short intervals, no wind but cold on the summits
Time. 7 hrs
Distance. 17.3 km
Ascent. 1661m
Hills.
Munro’s x 0
Corbett’s x 3
Grahams x 0

our route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Beinn a Chaisteil Beinn Chaorach and Beinn Odhar

Starting from.

Auch… road edge of A82

Another week comes another walking plan. So I made the decision to do this Corbett circuit that I had been putting off for the last while.

Last year we did a 2-day wild hike in the Bridge of Orchy area, this was always going to be an ambitious round especially as we were trying to catch the 5 Corbetts that sit around Auch estate on the way out.

Suffice to say the route took its toll on our bodys, and because of that we only managed Beinn nam Fuaran and Cam Chreag on our final day when heading out.

So the time comes when the wife (jools) asks “what’s our plans for this week then”. She hates Corbetts, and I took great pleasure in telling her of my intended plan. HaHa.

I had planned starting with Beinn Odhar but while walking down Auch ‘s estate road it was mightily hard not to notice how steep the SW face of Beinn Chaisteil was. If we did this route anti-clock wise as planned we would more than likely have to try and find a route down from the summit via the SW face. I never fancied that so we decide on doing it clockwise by heading up the SW first.

This turned out to be a fantastic choice, the higher we climbed the craggier and steeper it got. We kept to the left of the main gully until we were about 650m up then headed diagonally for a bit till we reached a short snow covered SW ridge. From this point it was a fine walk up the ridge and around the Coire head to the summit.

1 (55).JPG
This was taken on the way out Beinn a Chaisteil

1 (3).JPG
Beinn Bhreac-liath

1 (5).JPG

1 (10).JPG
heading for the short SW ridge

1 (11).JPG
summit in sight

1 (12).JPG
looking down the short ridge

1 (13).JPG
Wilson prior to the summit

1 (14).JPG
Beinn a Chaisteil summit

1 (17).JPG
over to Beinn Odhar from Beinn a Chaisteil

1 (19).JPG
we have no idea how this dog manages to see with hair like that.

No views at this point. We just carry on down the SE ridge for about 3km / 4km then head up onto the bealach that separates Cam Chreag and Beinn Chaorach, leaving a climb of about 180m for the summit of our second Corbett Beinn Chaorach.

1 (25).JPG
Beinn Dorain and Beinn a Chaisteil

1 (30).JPG
Towards Ben Challum from Beinn Chaorach

1 (24).JPG
looking to Beinn Odgar

NW sits Beinn Odhar our final summit of the day. Another leg burning, bone crunching and Knee jerking descent was needed.
I was now beginning to understand why Julie dislikes Corbetts so much.
On the descent I had to fit my knee support and take a couple painkillers combined with anti-flamitries. I was sure I heard her muttering under her breath something about being a wimp !

Eventually we topped out on the summit, the clouds had lifted a bit and we managed to see the views. What a fantastic viewpoint this was for all the surrounding hills. I lost count of all the hills I knew and of all the ones I didn’t.

1 (38).JPG
Ben Lui and friends

[
1 (40).JPG
Beinn Dorain , Beinn Dothaidh and Achaladair. Also the SW ridge we ascended on Beinn a Chaisteil.

1 (41).JPG
Pano

1 (44).JPG
Julie and Wilson on Beinn Odhars summit

1 (47).JPG
A wee gem of a hill

1 (48).JPG
Beinn Dorain again

1 (49).JPG
over to Black Mount

1 (51).JPG
Stob nan Clach

1 (53).JPG
Beinn a Chaisteil

Pick of the day was going up Beinn a Chaisteil via the SW. This really is a gem of a hill. The SW route up and the SE ridge down was fine.

We ended up doing a bit of contouring around the hill as there were bulls in the field near the bridge ( NN 331 353 ) that we were going to use on our exit.
Last edited by davetherave on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Triple Corbett leg burner.

Postby malky_c » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:29 pm

Loooks like a good day out :)
I'm hoping to do the full round of these 5 when the days get a bit longer. I think I remember your report for the other two last summer. Was it the one where it was really hot and you had massive packs?
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby monty » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:40 pm

Hi Dave,
Well done. I just love the way you make a decision on the hoof and go for it. :D Wilson looks relaxed on this walk compared to some of the wind/rain blown summits you have had him on :lol: Nice photies

On the descent I had to fit my knee support and take a couple painkillers combined with anti-flamitries. I was sure I heard her muttering under her breath something about being a wimp !
Jools might have a point there :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:43 pm

Cool,.... Dave n Co... :D :D :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby davetherave » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:07 pm

This may give a better indication of our route up Beinn a Chaisteil.

Dave and the gang. :lol:
Attachments
1 (47).JPG
an idea of our line of ascent.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby malky_c » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:13 pm

8)

was considering avoiding that section but it looks like an ascent route I could enjoy :lol:
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby kinley » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:17 pm

Mentalist!

That's a very steep ascent - I prefer to keep my hands in my pockets :lol:

Shame about the greyness - but a fine report 8)
kinley

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:41 pm

Nice trip Dave - I was just over the other side in Glen Lochay but seem to have had worse weather than you - think you made the right decision :D
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:11 pm

I do like to see Wilson enjoying his days on the hills! :D
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby gaffr » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:43 pm

That group of hills is a classic Corbett circuit. The three nearby ones are more than enough for a shorter January day! I remember that you visited the further out two on an earlier tour. Ours was an early spring visit, so much more daylight, and by the time we reached your first top, our last one, we couldn't face bumbling our way down the area of your ascent route so went down the SE ridge until we could reach fairly easily the Track out to the Auch glen...perfect for oldies :) Young Wilson has, over the last year or so, just grown into the role of our favourite dog image currently padding around the hills :D
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby rocket-ron » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:54 pm

Dave you like the leg killer walks
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:99
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:00 pm

That'll make kevsbald's year! :lol: Nice route Dave (and co.) - remember liking the look of Beinn a Chaisteal when I was up on Beinn Odhar in July and regretted having to pull the plug on the full trip and miss out on that one. I'll be back though! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Play2End » Fri May 16, 2014 5:18 pm

I did the proposed route up Beinn a Chaisteil with a couple of mates from GHC last Sunday. The route is straight forward but stay to the left of the burn all the way up. It is only steep grass, there is no rock involved in this ascent. It took just over an hour to do from the main track. We then went on to do Beinn Odhar and then on to the Green Welly.
Play2End
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:92
Fionas:74   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:192   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:17   Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland