walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie, heavy mist, young kids...what could go wrong?

Ben Chonzie, heavy mist, young kids...what could go wrong?

Postby polmanb » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:20 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 22/10/2019

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 712m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First time walk report poster.

End of the October holidays and two bonus in-service days. Deep joy. What to do with the kids (4 and 10)? I know, let's climb a Munro. After all, the forecast is for drizzle and fog. They'll love it 🤔

The day started well when I discovered that oldest daughter had left her outdoorsy jacket at a friend's house the night before. Loath to cancel our plans when I had already packed the bags I decided she could wear her warm (but not overly waterproof) school jacket.

Made the drive from Paisley in about 1h45 and started walking about 9.45am. By the time we got to the cottages 200m from the car park youngest was already complaining she was tired! Oh dear.

We plodded on and got to the dam, which was easy enough. The next stretch of path up to the small cairn is evil and bouldery so the wee one found it quite tough going.

20191022_103839.jpg
Slow coach. Too busy playing with her walking pole

The forecasters got it right, with the cloud base sitting about 750m. Still time to turn back Paul. What are you thinking man?

20191022_104909.jpg
If only they knew the fun that lay ahead

The trudge up the moist track towards the top wasn't too bad, but after a few false summits they wanted to sit down and have something to eat so I deployed the wee RAB emergency shelter to get them out the wind and clag while I waited outside freezing my bits off in the -2C wind chill.

Hunners of moans and some tears later we made it to the top. The wee one was really shivering, so quick photo and follow the fence back to pick up the path.....wait, where did that pesky path go?

20191022_125127.jpg
Managed to force a couple of smiles

Followed the fence too far. Had to get the kids down out the wind and clouds, so a quick look at the map the check for dangers and trudged off downhill. Could have been anywhere in the world by that point, but kept looking at what topography I could see and worked out I had to head off to the right.

Walked blind for a good 20 minutes trusting the compass and popped out at the road 20ft from the wee cairn! 🙏 Thank God for the map reading course.

Soon as they had solid road under their feet and some more tea and a sandwich all the pain and cold were forgotten. Back to the car in just under 5.5 hours and looking forward to their next mountain 😱

20191022_150533.jpg
Aye, you're laughing now
polmanb
Mountaineer

Munros:76   
Islands:14

Re: Ben Chonzie, heavy mist, young kids...what could go wron

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:26 pm

Well done with the Kids ! :D :clap: :thumbup:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:33 pm

Great report!

3 things my kids always loved about a walk were 1) sweets 2) finding dead animals 3) more sweets

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Grisu » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:48 pm

they love their father! :wink: great kids! :clap:
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:51 pm

Chonzie has been popular with the kids this month! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby polmanb » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi. Thanks for your comments everyone!

No dead animals, but sweets aplenty! And of course they love their dad. What's not to love? Lots according to the dating apps, but let's not go there 😂

Even though I'm relatively inexperienced I wouldn't have been too concerned about missing the path, walking in heavy mist and getting down on my own as the navigation on this hill was quite simple. It was being literally responsible for the lives of my girls that freaked me out a bit!
polmanb
Mountaineer

Munros:76   
Islands:14

Postby aaquater » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:22 pm

Getting to Chonzie summit from the end of the track seems endless in good weather, so I can't imagine what it must've been like in the fog! Not to mention finding the correct way back when you don't really see where you're going. It's a question of who finds it more spooky or calming, I suppose. But either way, not running into hunters in such conditions was definitely lucky!
aaquater

Munros:74   Corbetts:37
Fionas:40   Donalds:23+12
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:18

Postby mrssanta » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Well done all of you! They will he talking about their adventure for years to come.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland