walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Windy Walk Up Mayar and Driesh

A Windy Walk Up Mayar and Driesh

Postby abfielder » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:17 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 19/10/2019

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd been keeping an eye on the forecast, a week out it was saying snow then the day before it changed to fairly clear but with moderate winds and so I decided I would set out early from St Andrews and walk up Mayar and Driesh, it had been a while since I had the pleasure of walking up a Munro.

A little bit of cloud was around as I pulled up at first light on the car park where I paid £2 to park for the day. Made use of the facilities (which were nice and clean) and set off into the forest.

The view from the car park was rather pleasant

and I spotted this little fellow wandering down the path

It wasn't long before I came out into the opening for the absolutely stunning Corrie Fee

The walk up to the waterfall had been rather kind however it quickly becomes a bit more tricky (but not too difficult) up the waterfall and it was here that I could really start to feel the wind.

The view back down into Corrie Fee was also rather nice.

It wasn't long before I was at the summit of Mayar and this is where the wind started to really pickup, I struggled to hold the phone steady to take a picture, this being about the best I could do.

I didn't stay for long, with wind chill it was about -10c up the top and I still had Driesh to go. This is where it got much worse, I'm not sure what moderate winds are but I could barely stand up and I nearly turned back, it was quickly becoming rather miserable as I was battered by the winds and my face was being stung by the sleet. I stopped put on a scarf and some sunglasses to protect my face a bit better (certainly didn't need them for the sun at this point) and decided to attempt the summit of Driesh, I'm not sure I had a lot of choice the wind was pushing me that way anyway.

It wasn't long before I was at the summit, I took a quick selfie and one of the "view" although by that point the view was about 100ft thanks to the clouds.

Then it was time to descend, this time into the wind and boy was that hard work, I met another walker who decided (probably more sensibly) that it was too windy to go up Driesh and had turned back. Typically just as I started the walk down the clouds parted.

One last view of Corrie Fee

Then a spot of lunch back at the car park

On a nice day, that would have been a rather enjoyable walk. Even with the wind and cloud the view of Corrie Fee isn't something I will ever forget!
abfielder
Munro compleatist

Re: A Windy Walk Up Mayar and Driesh

Postby larry groo » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:30 pm

Nice one. Great report, it's a fine stroll on a bleak winter day.

Good pics for a phone too!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
larry groo

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland