walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A lovely autumn walk up Lochnagar

A lovely autumn walk up Lochnagar

Postby abfielder » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:13 am

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 21/10/2019

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 19 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had planned to walk the White Mounth route, however the previous day I'd had quite a tough walk up Mayar and Driesh in very windy conditions, I changed my plans to just do Lochnagar. A sensible decision I felt given this was the first lot of mountain walking I'd done in 2 years.

I pulled up to the car park and was once again one of the first there, I'm starting to think I'm a bit of an early bird. Just a note if you use apple maps that the car park is about 2 miles further on than it has it. Parking was £4 here for the day (compared to £2 for Mayar and Driesh).

Once again the view from the start of the walk was rather pleasent;

A nice walk across some open views and I could see the odd deer before walking into a brief bit of forest, then back out into open views where I could see a Stag on one of the hills and I was wishing I was carrying a dslr with a good zoom lens as it would have made a fantastic picture. Instead I got one of the stream you have to cross.

I wish I could tell you what the numbers meant but I didn't write them, I didn't even notice them till I was reviewing the photos.

As you start to wind your way up you start to get some fantastic views and I can see why many people really enjoy the Lochnagar walk

It wasn't long before Lochnagar came into view, actually my first though was I hope I'm not going up there.... I was.

Then it was time to hit the ladder, I've had to walk over a boulder field on the way up Ben Macdui before but this made me somewhat nervous being rather new to this. I took my time and slowly made my way up and before I knew it I was done and it started to flatten out a bit.

There was a thin layer of snow and ice near the top of the ladder onwards and a bit more care was required as some of the rocks were rather slippy.

It did however make for nice photo's.

Just a short while later I could see the summit, my body was extremely grateful that the climbing was done;

Having only spent seconds on the summit's of Mayar and Driesh thanks to the conditions I was able to enjoy some wonderful views from Lochnagar and have a spot of lunch with a local who was up Lochnagar for his 3rd time this year.

The obligatory selfie so I can remember myself being there :lol:

Then I had this view whilst I ate my lunch

Then I was on my way back down now here I actually got a little disoriented and started heading for the whole white mounth route before realising my error and taking a sharpish detour back down.

Some wonderful views of the Loch

After a what felt like a very long time I had walked the Loch and was back by the car

My body thankful that my mountain walking was done for the year and leaving me resolving to do some hill training before trying 3 mountains in 2 days again.

This was my favourite of the 7 munro's I've done so far but I may well be very biased as this was also the first one I've climbed in truly nice conditions.

I can't wait for next year. I'll be coming back to do the White Mounth route!
abfielder
Munro compleatist

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland