walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Where the sun shines on Loch Lomond

Where the sun shines on Loch Lomond

Postby Grisu » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:26 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 08/07/2016

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1041m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This munro we can easily do one afternoon, my friend once has said, and I was happy to go out with him for another walk on this warm and sunny summer day. It was an hour's drive and we started walking short after 6pm.

Right at the beginning we had a little disagreement about where to start. My friend was muttering something about the West Highland Way and was heading in a direction which was leading us away from the mountain. He obviously wanted to start from the hotel. I was reluctant to waste time and I asked him to find the start from the parking and we turned around.

Soon we were on the track and I remember some considerable constructions and heavy plants on very steep ground, wandering how they got up there. This made walking a bit difficult at the beginning, but after we have reached the open hill it was a nice stroll uphill the tourist route in the warm afternoon sun, everbody on its own pace, though.
DSC01731php690.jpg
looking back to the islands in Loch Lomond

Half way up - around Sron Aonaich, I would say - Mountain Bikers were performing and filmed by drones, not sure what I have to think about it considering the damage they always do to the soil :problem:
DSC01732php690.jpg
Mountain Bikers

At Coire a' Bhàthaidh my friend suddenly said: We better should turn around! :shock: Why? Because there is mist uphill. :think: I frowned and we had our second disagreement. I found it a bit ridiculous. We were in plain sunshine and only the top was a bit covered in mist. I definitely was not willing to turn around, so we continued.
DSC01739php690.jpg
crags in the mist

At the summit we met another partie of three guys looking for a decent descent but obviously not the Ptarmigan route. We said hello and immediately I felt relieved from some suppressed tension that has build up during the mute walk uphill which obviously was depressing me.
It was misty and no views. However, nothing to worry. When one of the guys saw that I took a shot of the trigpoint with my rucksack on top he kindly offered to take a picture of the two of us.
Well, I didn't want to give my friend more reasons to ignore me and made a happy face.
Collage Summit pics690.jpg
Summit pictures

Then we started the descent over the Ptarmigan route leaving the clouds soon behind us.
DSC01758php690.jpg
view back from the Ptarmigan route

DSC01748php690.jpg

Towards the mountains at the far side of Loch Lomond a stunning scenery revealed in front of us: Shooting time!
DSC01747php690.jpg

DSC01756php690.jpg

DSC01752php690.jpg

There we had our third disagreement. I liked to take a picture of him with the clouds and the mountains in the background but he wanted the lakes and I did him the favour. Somehow I could persuade him to wait until I have got around to the other side and taken some scenic pictures.
Collage David on the crag690.jpg
one place, two directions - what a difference! The second became his favourite, actually -

Meanwhile it has cleared up.
DSC01760php690.jpg

During the descent down the steep steps the scenery vanished and the sunlight faded.
DSC01754php690.jpg

DSC01762php690.jpg

DSC01767php690.jpg
Fireworks

It was dark when we reached the path leading through the forest back to the parking.
DSC01761php690.jpg

All in all: no funny banks but stunning scenery that will prevail my memories of this mountain.
Our disagreements could have served for some lols in hindsight, as those incidents usually do, but I never liked to remember this walk. And yet, while I was writing this report an unpleasant feeling was coming up again. Therefore I only would give this walk a three on a scale out of ten - if you asked me.
Grisu
Walker

Munros:57   Corbetts:2
Grahams:1   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: Where the sun shines on Loch Lomond

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:15 pm

Last photo - what a fabulous sky
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:84
Grahams:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland