walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

1st walk report- Lochnagar in the snow

1st walk report- Lochnagar in the snow

Postby jalopey81 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:44 am

Route description: Lochnagar from Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 25/01/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First ever walk report- please be patient!
And thanks to Alastair S, whos xmas walk report encouraged my reckless spending spree in the outdoorsy shops.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having finally forked out on crampons and other assorted cold weather gear, and having tried them out on lesser hills, the time arrived when I had a WHOLE DAY off work. As a first winter munro, I'd stick to my comfort zone, and pootled off down to Ballater and Lochnagar, the summit of which I have found to be within an eternal greyish murk.

Arriving at the Spittal on my tod, the usual walking partners having proffered various excuses (not at all related to the prospect of January iciness) and cried off, I plodded down through the woods, laden with enough warm clothing & marsbars to equip an Antarctic expedition. A mild dook in Allt-na-Giubhsaich was dried off rapidly as height was gained, catching a tantalising glimpse of the ever-spectacular Northeast corrie.
DSCF6446.JPG

The path up to this point had been icy but easily followed, however approaching the bealach crampons were hastily donned, following a few moves worthy of Torville and Dean
DSCF6454.JPG

Nipping up the steep-ish slope provided this view
Photo0446.jpg

although, as usual, pictures don't do it justice.

Feeling chipper now, gaining confidence in my new pointy shoes, Meikle Pap was next stop for the day, giving panoramic views of the deeside area & a pause for a sweetie and ribena :D

Next was the first steep bit, the Ladder

Photo0447.jpg

where I opted to stick to a line nearer the visible boulders, the sort-of-path being under a couple of feet of ice by this point.

Photo0476.jpg

Photo0481.jpg
looking back towards Meikle Pap

Reaching the plateau, was gobsmacked by the views- thinking I could get used to winter stuff...
Photo0488.jpg

Photo0501.jpg

Photo0511.jpg

Photo0567.jpg

Photo0572.jpg

Ambling towards the summit, taking a million photos en route, I realised that I'd been dawdling and best make haste before sunset, so a swift clamber to the trig point later I legged it towards where I remembered the Glas Allt heading downhill
Photo0579.jpg

Photo0581.jpg

Photo0585.jpg

Photo0593.jpg

Photo0598.jpg

Photo0605.jpg

The Glas Allt was hidden under snow for the upper third of its length, so after keeping a wide berth it came into view, with some fantastic snow bridges along its length
Photo0632.jpg

Thereafter, a backside-bouncing path through a world of ice and swearing led past the falls to Loch Muick, a sluggish trot back to the car before dark, more swearing at the now-departed winscreen wipers, and it was off home to last night's chicken madras...
Photo0650.jpg
jalopey81
Ambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: 1st walk report- Lochnagar in the snow

Postby Alastair S » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:04 am

jalopey81 wrote:First ever walk report- please be patient!

Excellent effort - looks like you had a cracking day. Was this really Tuesday - further down Deeside the morning was fine but it was a drizzly pm. Its usually the other way round, fine here, clagged over on Lochnagar.

jalopey81 wrote:And thanks to Alastair S, whos xmas walk report encouraged my reckless spending spree in the outdoorsy shops.

Glad to be of service :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:15 am

ERRRRR, Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Crackin report and pictures........
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Grahams:12   Donalds:1

Postby jalopey81 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:29 am

Alastair S wrote:
jalopey81 wrote:First ever walk report- please be patient!

Excellent effort - looks like you had a cracking day. Was this really Tuesday - further down Deeside the morning was fine but it was a drizzly pm. Its usually the other way round, fine here, clagged over on Lochnagar.

jalopey81 wrote:And thanks to Alastair S, whos xmas walk report encouraged my reckless spending spree in the outdoorsy shops.

Glad to be of service :D

It was last Thursday, 20th Jan, when faith in the weather forecast paid off -10 degrees, apparently, but not a breath of wind... sigh!
jalopey81
Ambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:1

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:49 am

Some amazing pics there Jalopey :thumbup:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:118   Corbetts:44
Grahams:47   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   

Postby blueyed » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:27 pm

nice!!! looking forward to more reports :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Grahams:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby Left Behind » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:05 pm

Excellent. Well done. :)

I attempted this route back in the 2nd week of december I think, but had to pack it in after getting lost due to the low cloud and heavy snow. :( Will head back ASAP though, conditions looks much better on your pics!

Look forward to more reports. :)
Left Behind
Hill Bagger

Postby gedme » Sun May 22, 2011 5:44 pm

Stunning shots and great report looks like a great day.
gedme
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   Corbetts:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland