walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ledard for Ben Venue

Ledard for Ben Venue

Postby U059361 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:19 pm

Route description: Ben Venue from Ledard Farm

Grahams included on this walk: Ben Venue

Date walked: 28/10/2019

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12.25 km

Ascent: 812m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Let's start with the car park, it now has a container in it acting as an office/canteen/wc for the workers who are working up the hill felling trees. I got there to find a huge puddle covering at least a third of the parking. No one would want to wade through that to walk, so the parking is a bit tight for 5 cars. The path is pretty wet right now, muddy, water running down it, churned up by big boots. Signs on the way up about dangerous forestry work going on and to obey any further instructions, but there weren't any. The whole forest beside the fence has been removed and now it is a bright walk up beside the fence. You can now see the loch below which before was obscured by the forest. On reaching the crossing over the big burn, there are NO IRON BARS as described here on WH. It is a simple step to get across it. The style across the fence is no longer needed either as someone has wrecked the fence and you can simply walk through the gap. The rest of the walk went pretty much as expected. In the shadows there were patches of ice and in some of the scrambles care was required to make it up to the top. A bit cloudy when I got up there but sunny most of the time coming back down. I had lunch at midday before returning. The icy bits were worse going down. My fitbit gave the distance for the report, nice accurate map of my path down.
Attachments
WHBV1.jpg
The cleared area and Loch Ard
WHBV2.jpg
Summit cairn and Ben Lomond
U059361
Bird-watcher

Munros:101   Corbetts:34
Grahams:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland