walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Righting a wrong, a walk in the Campsies.

Righting a wrong, a walk in the Campsies.

Postby johnscot55 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:44 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Earl's Seat

Date walked: 26/10/2019

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.75 km

Ascent: 709m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've no idea why, or from where or whom I got the idea, but for some years I laboured under the misapprehension that Meikle Bin was the highest summit in the the Campsie Fells,and as such I had "conquered" the Campsies on my numerous visits to it's summit. :lol: So on discovering some time ago that that title belonged to Earl's Seat, I banked it as a walk that could be done on a day with limited available time.
That day arrived last Saturday, so I set off around 8.15am with my walking buddy, grandson Matthew, keeping me company. We have had some Munro adventures over spring/summer/early autumn, which involved plenty of driving, so it was great to be at our chosen starting point, Glengoyne Whisky Distillery, suited, booted and ready to go by 9am.
20191026_092315.jpg
The first target of the day, Dumgoyne.

Although Earl's Seat was the target, the best part of this walk, by far, was the climb up, summiting, and descent of Dumgoyne. It's a great little hill. There are two main routes up Dumgoyne and we chose the most direct one, which is pretty steep and involved a bit of scrambling (which Matthew said he enjoyed) before intersecting the other path which sweeps round from the left as you climb. This is a proper hill in miniature. This path takes you to the summit which we reached in just under an hour, and given the reasonably low level summit, (427metres) the views were superb, if just a little misty in the far distance.
20191026_101154.jpg
Dumgoyne summit.
20191026_101205.jpg
View towards Loch Lomond.
20191026_101238.jpg
Dumgoyne summit double selfie.

From the summit we took a steep descent path which involved a bit of bum sliding for Matthew, but was good fun.
20191026_103658.jpg
It doesn't look it in the pic, but the descent from Dumgoyne is pretty steep.
I think there is a grassier, easier way to descend slightly to the north of our way, if that suits better.
20191026_101216.jpg
View from Dumgoyne of the path towards Garloch Hill.

And from here on the walk became a little more mundane if I'm honest. We made our way past a ruined building to Garloch Hill, before heading east in a direct line towards Earl's Seat summit which can be seen in the distance. And this was a mistake, I think, as the ground was pretty soft underfoot. In my opinion better to take the slightly more circuitous route a bit to the north and above the crags, in both directions. Better underfoot and better views.
The summit of Earl's Seat and it's trig point was reached in a leisurely couple of hours.
20191026_114108.jpg
Earl's Seat summit trig.
Our route meant a couple of wobbly wire fences had to be overcome. It's not the most spectacular summit, but it was good to know we had finally reached the highest point of the Campsies. We returned to Garloch Hill on the more northerly path before skirting round the side of Dumgoyne and back down to the car around four hours after we had begun.
20191026_124121.jpg
Matthew takes in the view north on the return journey. Just look at these trouser bottoms!!
20191026_125258.jpg
View from north east of Dumgoyne.
20191026_125517.jpg
Ben Lomond with a dusting of snow.

I would recommend this walk if you have limited time and a couple of hours would give a great workout on Dumgoyne by itself.
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland