walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another Borders raid

Another Borders raid

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:58 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bogrie Hill, Fell Hill

Date walked: 29/10/2019

Time taken: 2.2 hours

Distance: 9.3 km

Ascent: 425m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decision time, which hills to visit on my way home from another trip down south. Unusually this trip down south was hot on the heels of the WH meet, my boots hadn't even dried out on the outside.
I have 15 hills left in the Borders all basically within an excellent stones throw of Dumfries, I opted for the 2 most northerly ones left and they were both in the middle of nowhere with the nearest place being Moniaive.
I left Cheshire early doors and met the usual commuters heading off to their work and thought to myself who wants to do this every day? I am so glad I am out of that trauma.
The plan was to visit Fell Hill first as that was further west and the Satnav once again did a superb job and it was just a matter of finding a parking spot.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Fell Hill, 1hr 20mins, 220m of ascent, 6.3km

Very safe parking spot off the not very busy single track road

The not very busy single track road, great surface and definitely no potholes

The way ahead, great track probably created for the transportation of the wind turbines

A couple of cattle grids, I almost contemplated going back for the car and parking on the right hand side the other side of the grid

If you zoom in you can see the summit cairn, for a milli-second I contemplated heading direct to the summit but preferred to stick to the track

The way ahead, summit in the distance

We do like the occasional sign in this country

After going through the gate it was time to leave the track

No more track now, we are now in proper Marilyn territory

Looking back, the going was on an old ATV track

The next obstacle, the going wasn't as bad as it looks

Looking back, my route was just to the left of the trees

Typical terrain

Looking back down from higher up

The summit cairn appearing, at this point I reached the track but it does not go up the hill directly, in fact not even close

The track heading down, but it goes way off to the left whereas my car is to the right

Summit trig and cairn

Video on the summit of Fell Hill

Loch's Skae & Howie in the background

Similar shot to the above, but the arty version

Descending now, my plan was to try and pick up the path a bit earlier. From higher up it looked like a good idea, however as I got lower down the hillside I noticed the barbed wire fence this side of the small forest

Not sure if the livestock had seen me or were on the move anyway, they are right next to the fence

Now I have to traverse to the right to climb the gate again this side of the forest

After climbing the gate it was a straightforward amble back to the car. I kept my boots on for the drive to Bogrie Hill and the only vehicle I saw was the local postie along the single track roads.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Bogrie Hill, 1hr, 205m of ascent, 3km

It took me 20mins to drive from my parking spot at Fell Hill to my hand picked spot at Bogrie Hill, weather was still fine so everything was hunky dory.

Forgot to mention this stubborn obstacle who wasn't for moving

The beast was finally on the move, quite elegantly jumped the ditch

Parking spot

Kind of shows how remote we are, obviously not a busy road

Got to head up that way, no path or track

Very early looking back shot

The way ahead uphill

Looking back, had to pick my way through the dying bracken - AGAIN

Still going up, check out that rare blue sky

Plenty of fungi appearing

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hCpVfK]Image
Still no sign of the summit

The way ahead

Looking east, my route had me following the wall uphill but I improvised for a change

Looking across towards Fell Hill

Still ascending, no sign of the summit yet

Here it is the trig on Bogrie Hill

Looking north

Wall in need of repair

Video on the summit of Bogrie Hill

Another very enjoyable day and as I completed the walk a bit quicker than planned, I managed to avoid the worst of the Edinburgh rush hour traffic.
One of the joys of tackling Marilyns is creating your own route and trying to interpret the terrain from a map, especially as walk reports are kind of rare for the Borders hills.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:195   Corbetts:41
Grahams:16   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:120   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Another Borders raid

Postby PeteR » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:15 pm

Brings back memories.......boggy memories :lol:

Good hills for a quick up and down for a stretch of the legs though :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Grahams:89   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:176   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland