walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar

Lochnagar

Postby Grisu » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:01 pm

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 27/06/2016

Ascent: 930m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Coming from a family day in Aberdeen the day before we have stayed in Maryculter house to begin our summer walking season with our first walk in the Cairngorms!
I was very excited about this because short before I have seen a very impressive documentary about the Cairngorms on the german TV and immideately I was pretty much mesmerized.
It was a lovely day for Lochnagar.
We left the car at the parking of the Spittal of Glenmuick and followed the route as described on WH.
IMG_0354php690.jpg
View from the track

As a little variation we went over Meickle Pap and admired the perfect shape of the Corrie of Lochnagar.
IMG_0362php690.jpg
Lochnagar and the impressive Corrie from Meickle Pap

The path was a very steady walk uphill, I found, and I was waiting for the final pull but even this was very smooth.
But when we came around and reached the plateau a strong wind was welcoming us. WOW! we really struggled not to loose balance :lol:
IMG_0363php690.jpg
The wind was so strong that one could lean against it without falling.

However, at the summit we took our time to enjoy the views and to take pictures.
IMG_0368php690.jpg

IMG_0380php690.jpg

IMG_0392php690.jpg

IMG_0397php690.jpg

In the shelter of the big boulders below the trigpoint we had a nice lunch with views towards Deeside.
IMG_0400php690.jpg

On our way to Glenmuick we had a nice stop at a Café in Banchory where my friend has bought this little Haggis as a mojo for our walks. I don't think that a Haggis is qualified for a mojo.
IMG_0406php690.jpg
little Haggis

The long walk along Glas Allt was very enjoyable and again we took our time to enjoy the views and the warm afternoon sun.
IMG_0407php690.jpg
group picture

IMG_0409php690.jpg
looking back

IMG_0415php690.jpg

IMG_0414php690.jpg
View over Loch Muick to Creag Bhiòrach

Only when we have reached Loch Muick we became a bit tired.
What prevails my memories - apart from the fun in the stormy wind - is the quiet and gentle atmosphere throughout the day and the very relaxed walk.
On a scale out of ten I give this walk an eight, at least.
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: Lochnagar

Postby litljortindan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:32 pm

Looks like you got a good day there despite the wind. Some quite dramatic cliffs around that corrie.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Coop » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:31 pm

Love Lochnagar. Did the circuit a few years ago and it was misty on lochnagar. Didnt see a thing really. Went up a few weeks back and had similar wind conditions to yourself. Had a view though. It was fantastic as your pics show.
Great report. :thumbup:
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Grisu » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:31 am

litljortindan wrote:Looks like you got a good day there despite the wind. Some quite dramatic cliffs around that corrie.

Thank you, litljortindan, we enjoyed the walk very much, although the wind was heavy, it never got really cold but it was tricky :D
Grisu
Walker

Postby Grisu » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:35 am

Coop wrote:Love Lochnagar. Did the circuit a few years ago and it was misty on lochnagar. Didnt see a thing really. Went up a few weeks back and had similar wind conditions to yourself. Had a view though. It was fantastic as your pics show.
Great report. :thumbup:

Thank you Coop! It was my firsr time in the Cairngorms and they didn't disappoint me :D
Grisu
Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:32 pm

Good to see this in green clothes. That corrie is super-spectacular. I walked it in April last year when there was plenty of snow about, and it really blew me away (though not so the humps around and about it!!!).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Grisu » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:55 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Good to see this in green clothes. That corrie is super-spectacular. I walked it in April last year when there was plenty of snow about, and it really blew me away (though not so the humps around and about it!!!).

It looks as if it is quite a windy place :lol: Once on a nice winter day would be nice, if I could manage. :wink:
Grisu
Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland