walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two different Worlds: The Beauty & The Danger of Ben Nevis !

Two different Worlds: The Beauty & The Danger of Ben Nevis !

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:26 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 31/10/2019

Time taken: 4.48 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1354m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was my Ben Nevis climb no.23...….
Sunny and peaceful Glen and Wintery Ben - Autumn colours, views and perfect snow... 8) :D :wink:

The Route:

RK_gpx _2019-10-31_0707.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Video - Movie incl. Photos at the End:

Ben Nevis is very popular and often climbed mountain, but also mountain where people are dying every year...Please be prepared and don't underestimate the mountain even if you plan a trip by the "easy" tourist ( mountain ) path...The mountain path looks easy way, but may be dangerous because many people want to climb the highest mountain of Scotland ( of Britain ), incl. people who never climbed a hill, people without any experience who can easy get in a trouble higher up when the weather, conditions, terrain, temperature and visibility change and they are not ready for it.
Who is climbing the mountain by the other more challenging and adventurous routes is mostly experienced and knowing what to expect, but using the easiest way may be the danger for no climbers, no hillwalkers...

Ben Nevis is a great mountain, but it's not just about the distance, ascent and your fitness level...it's about the conditions and the weather can really surprise you as there is a different world on the top mostly. Please don't judge the mountain by looking and feeling the weather on the bottom even in sunny , dry and clear day. You will experience much colder temperature, stronger wind, sometimes no visibility, ice and snow in the higher level. It look easy to follow the path, but the path disappear in snow ( wind will spread the snow over any track or foot prints and there are dangerous cliffs very close of the usual way which can be even more dangerous in no visibility and snow as the snowy cornices go over the edge - every bad step closer to the edge can be fatal. Don't use just your phone as an GPS device, the batteries are running out much quicker in cold conditions. Also starting later in full daylight looks ok, but in this time of year the darkness is starting earlier and descending in the darkness without a torch etc. can make it struggle. Better to start earlier when the day open the views than finish later than expected or badly estimated...
It's a beautiful mountain, but safety on the first place. If you are prepared and ready for worse conditions then you will sure enjoy the beauty of Ben Nevis.
P.S. You can find different conditions on Ben Nevis in my others videos from the mountain as I climbed The Ben every month in a Year
incl. video "Total Whiteout and snow - gale January 2014".

White out on summit February 2015

December's test of endurance in snow and gale:

Mountain Path difference bottom-top in November 2017:

But it may be beautiful in a clear day - via CMD in May 2019:

All the Best
Petr
Last edited by Petr Dakota on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: Ben Nevis no.23 on Halloween morning: sun,snow,ice and v

Postby Anne C » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:00 am

Fantastic! What a contrast between autumn lower down and the depths of winter halway up. :clap: :clap:
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby R1ggered » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:25 pm

Brill! :clap: :clap: :clap:
R1ggered
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:53 pm

Anne C wrote:Fantastic! What a contrast between autumn lower down and the depths of winter halway up. :clap: :clap:

Thank you :) really contrast, always different world on the top of Ben Nevis between Autumn and late Spring and always wondering how some people are "prepared" when meeting them on my descend in the lower level as they are going up just in light shoes, t-shirts only and very small bags as they are judging the conditions by what they see and feel on the bottom :shock: :roll: ...then turning back when meet 1st snow, ice, wind or colder temperature :wink:
The snow on top was really good this time, views clear almost up to the summit, cleared there shortly only by the wind, but somehow it made even better atmosphere and feeling like different world in silence rather than the sometimes opened views around...no crowds early morning :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:59 pm

R1ggered wrote:Brill! :clap: :clap: :clap:

thank you :)
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Re: Sunny Glen & Wintery Ben, my B.Nevis no.23 - perfect sno

Postby Silverhill » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:04 pm

I like that you keep coming back to Ben Nevis and are showing us how it looks at different times during the year 8) . Those autumn colours are stunning! The snow covered ruins of the observatory looked a bit spooky in the mist.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Re: Two different Worlds: The Beauty & The Danger of Ben Nev

Postby Grisu » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:08 pm

Thanks for compiling and the considerate information! :D
Very interesting task to do Ben Nevis once a month over a year - I'll keep this in mind :clap:
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: Sunny Glen & Wintery Ben, my B.Nevis no.23 - perfect sno

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:48 pm

Silverhill wrote:I like that you keep coming back to Ben Nevis and are showing us how it looks at different times during the year 8) . Those autumn colours are stunning! The snow covered ruins of the observatory looked a bit spooky in the mist.

Thank you :) glad you like it as I will still keeping repeating Ben Nevis again and again :D as long as my legs will work and I will be able to catch my breath :lol:

Hope to do The Ben at least once again up to the end of this Year yet...….
Even the same mountain, never the same... :wink:

20190512_094706.jpg

20181205_112530.jpg
20181205_112548.jpg

DSC03709a.JPG

DSCF7315.JPG

DSCF1071.JPG

20141207_105841.jpg

20140326_135052.jpg
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:51 pm

Grisu wrote:Thanks for compiling and the considerate information! :D
Very interesting task to do Ben Nevis once a month over a year - I'll keep this in mind :clap:

thank you...and...….Let's do it ! :D :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Marty_JG » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:48 am

The footage is great, the soundtrack is mince & tatties without the tatties.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:25 pm

Marty_JG wrote:The footage is great, the soundtrack is mince & tatties without the tatties.

thank you :)
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland