walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Queensberry from Mitchellslacks

Queensberry from Mitchellslacks

Postby TheTortoise » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:32 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Queensberry

Donalds included on this walk: Queensberry

Date walked: 15/10/2019

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I intended to take the easy way up Queensberry by following the track nearly to the New House ruin, then up the atv track to the summit. The Hare was going to do a large horseshoe over Wee Queensberry and on over Earncraig hill and Gana Hill. However we both went wrong very quickly by not looking at the map and taking a low track. I was rewarded for this error by a good view up the valley
valley.jpg
View by the burn - shouldn't be going this way
and an attractive waterfall.
waterfall.jpg
Little waterfall
Once I had climbed up steep grass to the upper track, progress was straightforward
Earncraig640.jpg
View towards Earncraig Hill and abandoned houses
and I had lunch on the enormous summit heap of stones.
Vi9ew640.jpg
View from summit
As I started back, I was surprised to meet the Hare just arriving, he had found his way up hard going. So I decided to save my arthritic legs for the next 100 Grahams and returned by the tracks.
wq.jpg
Towards Wee Queensberry from a large cairn on the way down
The Hare returned to the van eventually, he had found the rest of the route much more straightforward so had gone all the way round.
TheTortoise
Mountain Walker

Fionas:219   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland